TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hooker AMC Dealership Information

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hooker AMC Dealership Information
    Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 3:29pm
After nearly 2 years of research, emails, phone calls, etc,

I have finally found another piece of the puzzle regarding the AMC Dealer where we purchased
Linda's 1974 Javelin; Hooker AMC....
I was able to located one of the sons of A.R. Hooker, Allen Hooker, and here is what I found out:

Allen had retained some record files which included a copy of the signed initial Dealership Franchise Agreement, dated January 18, 1974, and also the Termination Letter from
AMC Dealer Management Office, that terminated the Franchise Agreement on November 15, 1976.

The Termination Letter even stated the reasons for the termination:
1.  Dealership lacked the capacity to stock an adequate amount of vehicle inventory based on territory boundaries, and franchise obligations.
2. Failure to upgrade facilities to meet company prescribed guidelines.

I knew that Hooker AMC was in business a very short time, and these memos give me the exact dates,
which was less than 3 years.
Brothers Howard C. and A.R.(Cotton) Hooker purchased the AMC Dealership from Mr. Jim Pollard
on January 18, 1974.
Mr. Pollard had been the Rambler/Nash/AMC Dealer from 1954.
When Mr. Pollard had the dealership, it was located at 300 North Crockett, Sherman, Texas.
The Hooker Brothers relocated the dealership to 118 West Pecan, Sherman, Texas.
The AMC District Sales Manager at that time was Mr. Robert A. Wyatt.

Information on many AMC Dealerships have been lost to Father Time, and I am glad I was able to put some of the puzzle together regarding my AMC Dealer, Hooker AMC....

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 4:35pm
YEP! Failure to comply with Franchise Agreements can/will dissolve the dealership franchise. I worked in management for a GM dealer that GM wanted to relocate to an auto mall. GM said we were not getting enough exposure and wanted our single-point dealership to have freeway exposure. The owner had several serious previous run-ins with GM and contested it. GM got with the city and put pressure strips across the avenue to count how many cars drove buy the dealership. The owner won that argument. Later, GM pulled the owner's Medium Duty Commercial Truck Franchise based on several other infractions. Then, found other reasons without warning to pull the GM franchise altogether. The new owner relocated the dealership to the Auto Mall along the freeway. Moral of the story...Do Not Mess with the General!

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Jan/06/2016 at 4:45pm
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Concours dude View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concours dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 8:24pm
When the local Chrysler store was operating in the 1990's (which was a Rambler dealership at one time, I was given many service manuals)they were directed to expand the showroom or else. They did, but the dealership relocated out of town years later.
Past owned:
62 Classic 400
1976 Hornet
65 440 H
61 Amb
59 Classic wagon
55 Ambassador Sedan
54 Ambassador Country Club
AMCRC #1929
AMO #10029
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 8:37pm
Dickie...
I think that's cool.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic