TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hooker 7103 headers in a small body car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2020 at 1:36pm
Just for reference you may not need that big depending on how much engine you have and your combination. I back to backed the 7105 and 7103 hookers on my EMC challenge engine way way back, and the 7103 did make more power. However the 1 3/4" 7105 made a better power curve and score, and that is what went to the competition. This was on a 613 hp 409 inch engine. I also run the 1 3/4" 7105 on my street Rambler, 567 hp street 426, and have used those in many small body street and race applications with very good success. The Rambler might be better off with the 1 7/8", but it's questionable for street use with a stick transmission.

If it is a race application where the street power curve is not so important the bigger headers are likely the plan. It also depends on the converter. If the stall is above 5000 rpm and you are a higher hp application the bigger headers would be better.

BTW I *think* the Dougs 1 3/4" headers do fit the small body, they sure look the same as the hooker 7105. A friend is about to install them in a AMX so I will have a close look and compare. Has anyone tried them in a small body?

Edited by Ken_Parkman - Apr/30/2020 at 1:45pm
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2020 at 4:51pm
Ken
I built my exhaust system around my stock heads and mocked up with 7901 1 5/8" Hookers. But looks like I am going to go with Indy Heads. Therefore will need Dogleg headers You said you put 1 3/4" 7105 hooker headers on your rambler was that an American? I have an SC Rambler that I will need doglegs to go with Indy Heads. Did you have any clearance problems? My 7901 Hookers fit really good although I did have all my front suspension out. Have been looking for 7105 have not found any do they still make them. Also did you find out about the Dougs 1 3/4" that your friend was about to install?
Thanks Larry
SC Rambler
Teamamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teamamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2020 at 6:13pm
i have a set of 7105 pictured earlier in the post

Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2020 at 9:23am
Yes the Rambler is a 69, but not an SC. It's just a 2 dr post with an overgrown 401. The 7105 hookers fit good; like I said I've had them on an assortment of small body cars over the years. The passenger side runs really close to the pan rail of a 727. Overall I've had very good luck, but once and a while the port fit is terrible. QC is not always perfect. I've never used the 7901, but the 7105 are way easier to install the starter and have better ground clearance than the hedman 98310. The 7105 hookers also clear the higher "shelf" on the Edelbrock heads, but you have to grind some clearance for the deadbolts under the exhaust ports.

On the Rambler the I cut the collectors back some to make better room to bent the exhaust in to fit the crossmember humps.

He has not got to the headers yet on the AMX. I am most curious if the Dougs are the same routing as the 7105, and I think you need to take the same chunk out of the passenger side engine bracket for a tall engine bracket engine.

One other comment I find on the 7105 hooker is you should clamp the slip joint of the #8 primary or itwill vibrate and crack/fall off. I weld little bolt tabs because I want to be able to remove easy.
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2020 at 9:36am
Thanks Ken
Larry
SC Rambler
ajzamc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajzamc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2020 at 8:33am
ive got a set In my 72 Gremmy. motor moved down and forward a bit (valve cover clearance) and they fit. not without a gentle bit of massaging. but they will fit. what the world doesn't want you to know is that if you smash a set of headers, you have to go a long long long long way before you actually choke them down and have a scavaging issue.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic