TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Holley DP Accelerator Pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 7:14am
One more source of confusion... Last night I pulled a squinter to see what size they were - pulled the rear one since it was easier to get at and it is a 31. This morning I'm looking at specs for my carb (model 0-4778C) and it shows the primary nozzle 28 - so I'm thinking someone already messed with it.. Then I read down further and see that they come stock with 28 up front and 31 in the rear... Didn't know they would be different (main jets also different at 69/79). So my question is should I keep the same spread front to rear as I try larger nozzles?

Also noticed I have a pink cam on the carb - not sure if this is stock or changed?
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 10:39am
Yes, keep the bias of front to rear, relatively speaking. I would check the Holley specs and return it to what they had as a baseline, before starting to change things. As for the pink cam, I don't know what was original to it, but in a way it does not matter. I have a chart of the cam lifts and profiles. Let me see if I can post it here.

This burp or hesitation you mentioned, does it occur as soon as you hit the pedal, or does it launch ok and then fall flat?

Thanks!

Chris

PS: Here is some useful information, plus the chart of pump cams.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Holley_accelerator_pump

Edited by ccowx - Jul/31/2017 at 10:44am
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 11:06am
The stumble is immediate when I flip the throttle - although it did improve after I moved the cam to the #2 hole.
I would also get some stumbling after getting rolling when I'd get into it and it would actually take a few seconds to recover once I let off.
I think they sell the squirters in pairs? Can the front and rear be interchanged?
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 11:20am
You need to up the size of the squirters to maybe .031 and .035. I also suspect you will need to up the cam sizes, but do that AFTER you change the squirters, IF you need it. You can drill squirters out if you have a micro drill set.

Probably the reason you had improvement after going to hole #2 is that with your high idle you were already taking up some of the pump travel by adjusting the idle speed screw. You have in effect increased the pump stroke and therefore volume discharged by going to hole #2.

The stumble you get after you are already rolling will likely be curable with a different cam profile that is more aggressive at part throttle.

Don't get ahead of yourself with this. First, squirter size, next cam with higher lift and last, profile. You may find that issues clear up as you get the squirters and cam lift right for your combination.

Squirters are not sold in pairs and are interchangeable.

Chris
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 12:36pm
Holley seems to sell in pairs. Quick Fuel sells them individually. Not a big deal either way as it never hurts having extras!
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 7:39pm
Well got some nozzles and the cam kit on order so maybe by weeks end I can try something. I'll post result when I do. Thanks for the help so far guys!
spiritdude View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiritdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Bandana Bandana wrote:

One more source of confusion... Last night I pulled a squinter to see what size they were - pulled the rear one since it was easier to get at and it is a 31. This morning I'm looking at specs for my carb (model 0-4778C) and it shows the primary nozzle 28 - so I'm thinking someone already messed with it.. Then I read down further and see that they come stock with 28 up front and 31 in the rear... Didn't know they would be different (main jets also different at 69/79). So my question is should I keep the same spread front to rear as I try larger nozzles?

Also noticed I have a pink cam on the carb - not sure if this is stock or changed?

Don't worry about keeping the same spread from front to rear for the nozzles. If there is a power valve in the front metering block, then maintain the spread in the jets. A power valve is worth 10 sizes in jetting.
spiritdude
spiritdude
1982 Spirit-10.865 @123.16mph
spiritdude View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiritdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Bandana Bandana wrote:

The stumble is immediate when I flip the throttle - although it did improve after I moved the cam to the #2 hole.
I would also get some stumbling after getting rolling when I'd get into it and it would actually take a few seconds to recover once I let off.
I think they sell the squirters in pairs? Can the front and rear be interchanged?

Increase the front nozzle size. You need more gas. Ccowx is correct on the reason why changing your cam to the number two hole helped as well.
spiritdude
spiritdude
1982 Spirit-10.865 @123.16mph
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2017 at 7:01am
I ordered a 34 and 37 nozzle. Thought I'd try the 31 in front and 34 in rear first. Maybe 34/37 if need be. Heading out of town for the weekend so may not get to try it out til next week. I'll post results.

Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 6:45pm
So, latest update. Got my new parts and put a 31 squirter in front and a 35 in back. Throttle response improved noticeably. Still had a tendency to stumble off idle if I hit the throttle  fast. If I rolled into it slightly is was fine. Double /triple tapping the throttle after it got off idle was fine. I went ahead and took the medium blue spring out of the dizzy and now have both light silvers. I think this helped the throttle response some too. All of this is with the car sitting in the garage (monsoon day).

Thoughts on if I should try a 35/37 squirter combo - or go to cam profile changes??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic