TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Holley carb with elec choke

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keiths 70 AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley carb with elec choke
    Posted: Jan/13/2018 at 10:05am
This is my dads car, He passed away and I have been trying to get everything working like it should. The car runs great once it is warm. I have been trying to set the electric choke and could never get it to pull in on a cold start. I think I found my problem. When ever he installed this carb he connected the choke 12 volt wire to the coil. I am only getting about 9 volts to the choke. With the original wiring in the engine bay, can anyone tell me where I should connect the choke wire so I get the full 12 volts, and only when the key is in the run position.
  Thank you in advance.
      Ron 
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2018 at 10:08am
use the fuse box inside just run a wire to a spot that is 12 volt when key is in the run position  i have a eldo carb on my 304 with an electric choke 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2018 at 10:41am
You have a number of options. As mentioned before you can run a new wire in to the fuse panel. You can tap off the coil wire to power a relay and use the relay to feed direct from the battery to the choke. You can hide the relay on the under side of the battery tray. You can also dig into the main wire harness to connect to the ignition wire ahead of the resistor wire.

The best option, in my opinion, is to run a fresh wire to the fuse panel. It all comes down to how much time and effort you want to put in to it.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2018 at 12:17pm
I also run a wire to the fuse panel and use one of the "accessory" tabs. Theoretically, if you turn to accessory and let it sit for a while, you will have the choke fully open without actually warming up the engine, but in reality, you would have to park for not only long enough to open the choke but also for the engine to cool down before you have any starting issues. In my estimation, if you have a date THAT hot, you will likely want the excuse that you can't start the engine......

Chris
keiths 70 AMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keiths 70 AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 11:17am
Chris, are you saying I will have issues starting a warm engine if I am connected to the accessary tab on the fuse panel ?  Am I wrong in thinking that the heat from the warm engine will keep the choke closed
if properly adjusted ? 
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 11:37am
Electric chokes, if properly adjusted, will keep the choke closed to whatever degree when cold. When you feed power to them it heats up a bi-metal coiled element that slowly unwinds as it heats up, opening the choke.

If you sat and listened to the radio for a long period of time, ie with the ignition in the accessory position, the engine could cool down but the choke would be off. That could give a cold start issue. The engine heat might keep the choke off a bit also, but it's primary source of "opening signal" is the electrical connection. That is why it is NOT a thermostatic choke, like the oem factory one.

So, IF you sat long enough for the engine to fully cool, and IF you had the accessory switch on, and IF you engine has a cold start issue without a choke, then you MAY have trouble starting it.

It is one of those issues that in my experience exists more in theory than reality, though others may have different experiences.

I hope that helps!

Chris   
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 11:44am
PS: Sorry to hear about your father's passing. There are lots of people here that will help you get his car running in a way that would make him happy!

PPS: In order for your engine to fully cool, you are talking probably at least an hour, probably a lot more.
keiths 70 AMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keiths 70 AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 12:15pm
Helps a lot, Thank You. Ya my dad loved the car, he was lead stylist at AMC and brought the AMX and Javelin designs to life in full size clay models. When I got out of the service I got into Camaro's and then about 2 years before his passing I sold my Camaro and decided to get the AMX running, ( car had sat covered for about 3 years) so I could take him for a few ride's and to a few car show's. He was happy when he went home.
  Thanks
   Ron      
   And yes this site is great with everyone willing to help.  
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 12:46pm
You have some interesting history with AMC's indeed! I am sure many here would love to hear any stories or other info you might have about your Dad's years at AMC!

See you around!

Chris
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 4:43pm
If you can't get the choke to "pull in", IE close, on a cold start, the problem is not that it is getting 9 volts. The power is used to open the choke as the engine warms up, not close it when it is cold.

It sounds like you need to troubleshoot why the choke won't close when cold.

Let us know what brand & model # of carb you have, pictures of the passenger side of the carb would help too.  Could be choke linkage not hooked up, linkage hooked up wrong, choke needs adjusted. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic