TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Holley 390CFM tuning 258

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2016 at 9:26am
That's the only problem with a big project you have to leave for "real world" reasons, hard to figure out where you left off! I try to compartmentalize projects I know I'm going to have to leave. Break it into small projects that can be done in the time I have... or think I have (doesn't always work out...). You see some progress that way and easier to NOT get discouraged due to the time it's taking. A rushed job is never a good one! 
Frank Swygert
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2016 at 10:48pm
That carb looks pretty new based on the plating condition. Nice that you have the electric choke and quick change secondary. Stuff the purple spring in there - it gives faster secondary action with the low displacement. Yellow would be the next step, but start with purple.

Edited by Greyhounds_AMX - Apr/03/2016 at 10:51pm
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2016 at 3:22pm
I have my beast R154/AX15 transmission back in and gotta finish bolting it up this afternoon so I can use the starter to fire it up
I have a question about valve cover ventilation since someone mentioned a vacuum leak.
I have manifold vacuum sucking crank vapors through the back elbow of the valve cover. This elbow has a 1/8" hole in it so that it only sucks a little vapor out and then I have a breather/air filter in the front valve cover hole to let in fresh air.
I'm wondering if this is technically a vacuum leak that may be affecting my ability to tune the carb
Usually this breather would be a hose connecting back to the air filter.
That seems like sort of the same thing but I thought I would check.
'71 FrankenHornet:
'72 258 '95 4.0L Head Holley 390CFM
AX15 with R154 gears 5 speed Hurst shifter
AMC20 rear axle Detroit TrueTrac
Dual Exhaust
Concord Discs Spirit AMX sway bars
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2016 at 4:56pm
I fired it up and adjusted the advance to 12 and the idle to 700 and it sounds really good!
It has some old gas in there but after it cleared that it idles and revs well (on jackstands)!
I need to test drive it to see how it performs under load.
Last thing I remember is it was backfiring but I had like 15 degrees initial advance so I think that was the latest problem.
I also remember that I got the cheap HEI unit from eBay and I had to change the springs and vacuum advance a lot
I will keep yall updated on what the final adjustments end up being
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2016 at 12:59pm
I test drove the car a couple times around the block. Car was accelerating but felt like it was lacking real grunt. Also had a "fart" right off idle. I'll be taking the carb off today to see where I was with jets etc from tuning last time. The mix seems lean. I'll try resetting idle mixture
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2016 at 2:07pm
The fart is probably accelerator pump tuning related. That's always the biggest challenge on these.
When you have it off let's take a look under the primary throttle blades to see how much transfer slot is exposed as well.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2016 at 2:28pm
I opened her up. I had the 48 main jets and the 33 squirter. I think I'll put the 31 squirter back in to get back to the Clifford recommended starting point
I replaced a vacuum hose and nipple cover that were a little cracked. I think these were in better shape a year and a half ago. The power valve is 8.5 because my vacuum reading was 17
Seems high?

I did set the transfer slot but don't remember how exactly. Maybe it was a square?
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2016 at 2:51pm
In a rare episode of foresight, I had little vacuum nipples already on hand for tuning the carb and the tiny one on the bottom in this pic was bad. Being prepared feels awesome

I have on hand the 29-31-33 squirters

Greyhounds_AMX The transfer slot look to be about 1/8" exposed

Gotta run and get some gaskets BRB

Edited by 71hornet6 - Apr/26/2016 at 3:07pm
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2016 at 4:29pm
I think the transfer slot is supposed to be square so I'll fix that and put it back on
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2016 at 6:09pm
Typically you need more pump shot volume. Have you got a selection of pump cams?
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic