TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

High compression 360 heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 6:13pm
93RM2 no lead premium will support 12:1 with proper tuning.

That is roughly the same anti knock protection as the old 97-98 leaded premium.

It's just that the rating system is different and the nasty TEL (lead) is out.
Gremlin Dreams
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 6:20pm
Wiseco pistons have a slightly smaller dish than stock that will give you a small bump in compression or use their flat tops instead and run E85.
tgoddardamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgoddardamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 11:42pm
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try to go with new pistons to increase the compression ratio. My block will need machine work so I'll have to replace the pistons anyways. I definitely like the idea of not having to mill the heads and intake if I don't have to.

Edited by tgoddardamc - Sep/12/2017 at 11:49pm
AMCya!
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgoddardamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Make sure you run a 360 flywheel.or faceplate. The 360 will run much better than the 304 in stock form...

Thanks, I actually ran into the flywheel issue when I installed the 304. I'll be sure to get a 360 flywheel when the time comes. I'm sure the 360 will run better but I figured I might as well get the most out of it since I'll have to get machine work done anyways.
AMCya!
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgoddardamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 12:24am
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Milling the heads enough to change the compression significantly will mean the intake manifold will need to be milled as well. The compression height of the piston will need to be checked too, so they don't contact the head or valves.

What heads do you have now for the 360? Are they 502s? Look under the valve cover between the valve stems, there should be a head casting part number there.

The 319-291C heads are the smaller chamber higher compression ratio from 1970 and 1971. They are still around. These heads will have studs instead of bridged rockers. FYI, by the time you refurbish a pair of 291C heads, you may have as much in them as Edelbrock Aluminum heads. It all depends on the cost of parts and machining. Aluminum heads are less prone to pinging and combustion knock because they dissipate heat better..

Bulltear Industries can get any piston you want for a 360. They will be forged and at whatever compression you ask for. Matt is very good at it, listen to his advice as well.

Better yet, if your 360 heads are not 502 heads, (which I think they aren't because of the 78 model year) find a pair of 502 heads, they are touted as being the best breathing head that AMC made. Have them machined for rocker studs and hardened seats. Have a set of pistons made to your spec for compression and go from there.

Thanks for the response. The casting number on my heads are, 3231475-2. I looked them up a while back and found that they were later heads with the big combustion chambers. My short block will require some machine work because it has some very mild pitting in the cylinders from being in storage. So I'll have to get new pistons anyways. Do you think it would be worthwhile trying to find the 502 heads or should I just get my current heads rebuilt and get some pistons that will bring my compression ratio into the 9.5-1 range? Basically as long as I can make somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 horsepower I'll be happy.
AMCya!
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 8:53am
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the response. The casting number on my heads are, 3231475-2. I looked them up a while back and found that they were later heads with the big combustion chambers. My short block will require some machine work because it has some very mild pitting in the cylinders from being in storage. So I'll have to get new pistons anyways. Do you think it would be worthwhile trying to find the 502 heads or should I just get my current heads rebuilt and get some pistons that will bring my compression ratio into the 9.5-1 range? Basically as long as I can make somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 horsepower I'll be happy. [/QUOTE]

It certainly can't hurt to search for a pair of 502s. Maybe someone right in Vacaville, Sacramento or Frisco has a set, you never know until you try. Heck they may be in better condition than your presents heads. Check Craigslist or place a want ad on it.

A bit more advice, the block deck and head mating surface will probably need to be cleaned up regardless. Ask you machinist to mill the absolute least off the two surfaces ( one to three thousands ) if he can do that.

or, I believe Cometic makes head gaskets for AMC V8s in different compressed thicknesses. If too much needs to be milled off one or the other, the difference can be made up with a head gasket, without resulting in machining the intake manifold as well.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Sep/13/2017 at 8:56am
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 10:14am
I have a set of early 70's 58cc 2993's heads, adjustable rocker stud set up if you're interested. I was going to use them until I found a pair of 51cc heads for my build. Pic related, they now have a minor surface rust film since sitting in my garage.

If your lift isn't too high though and your heads are in decent shape, sounds like you can go ahead and re-use them for what you're trying to achieve.

Edited by Moffman - Sep/13/2017 at 10:21am
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 6:03pm
11.3:1~ for a 63cc chamber and a .04 piston quench.

A little less really because of chamfers and a 4.28 head gasket.

About 12:1 with a 58CC head.

Gremlin Dreams
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2017 at 9:43am
if you don't mind premimum gas I like the 58CC head with flat top pistons.

Note above I also did not figure in valve reliefs.

Nock off about half a point for that.
Gremlin Dreams
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgoddardamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 5:24pm
I think I have decided what to do. I found a 360 for sale that is in better shape than my engine and it includes a good set of 502 heads. If I get a set of the bull tear 9.5 pistons it will give me the compression ratio I'm looking for and hopefully still be streetable on crappy premium California gas. After looking at my current block I'm fairly certain that it's not going to be salvageable since it's already .030 over and has some noticeable pitting in the cylinders. I've been looking at cams but haven't settled on one yet. I'd like a cam that will give me some decent mid range torque while still being able to give me some top end power. I looked at the comp 268h but I'm not sure it's got the duration I'm looking for with this combo. Any suggestions?
AMCya!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic