TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

hesitation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 6:25am
A coil going bad can do this. Coils are cheap enough it might be a good idea to just replace it. Just make sure you get the right one. 
Frank Swygert
fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 10:18am
thank you all

Thikstik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thikstik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 4:35pm
I know the most sudden carb changes are from a heavy float...this can literally happen in no time.  Of course this over richens mixture and can cause a fire at worst.  The thing is, it seems like a lean problem.  Have you tried taking the pre-pump fileter out and blowing thru it with mouth to see if its resisting flow?  My gremmy would still have silt in it from its sitting for 13 years , and the tank had been cleaned (badly) and sealed.   

Edited by Thikstik - Jul/04/2018 at 4:39pm
75 gremlin x, jeep 4.0 headed 258,
264H Cliff cam, intake,header. 390 holley. I want a 282 VAM motor!

AC/PS/PDB.

72 AMX , 304 2bbl, 3speed, now disks...probably will sell, want an automatic /AC.

fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 8:10pm
new coil this morning didn't work so rebuilding the carb next

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 8:15pm
Before you rebuild the carburetor make sure the spark at the spark plug is blue...not yellow...if its weak...Id look at the condenser.....
fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2018 at 6:33am
i was going to do the condenser with the coil yesterday but the distributor has been changed to electronic ignition.  going to do some research on that model.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2018 at 7:32am
What type of electronic ignition... Pertronix? They don't go out often, but when it's dead it's just that! Easy to temporarily reinsert points and condensor if it's Pertronix. Would at least get you running for now, and let you know if that's the problem. A tester like this is what you need:

You can get them at most auto parts stores also, about the same price (around $10).

I had a similar issue when I first put a 4.0L in my car. Discovered a weak spark, which was due to a dirty connector. The light will be a bright blue if you're getting a good strong spark, yellowish if not. I had a hard time getting it running because I was getting spark. Took it to a Jeep mechanic to connect to the Renix diagnostic computer. I told him what I'd done, and he decided to do a basic check before plugging in the computer. Found the weak spark right away (first thing he checked!), cleaned the connector for the ignition module and I drove off (had it towed in...)!! Only charged me an hour shop time to boot. That was back in late 1999... was happy to pay the $65 or so since I'd already spent hours trying to get it running! 
Frank Swygert
fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 8:47am
been trying to post for a few days and keep getting denied to do so.  
i did a new coil nice blue spark.    yes its also Pertronix.
i think it is a carb problem now
knobbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 4:29pm
This might be a long shot, but have you checked the connection of the coil's +/- terminals? If they're spade connectors, you might be running into a similar issue as I was with my Eagle shortly after I first got it. Abrupt jerks, stops, and even movement from firm shifts could cause everything from that hesitation you described to outright stalling and no-start conditions as time wore on.

It drove me absolutely crazy, because air/spark/fuel checks would all pass, as something would be jostled or repositioned while I would be poking around, which would get the connector reseated. I even pulled the connectors from the cap, brushed them down, and cleaned them to make sure they were getting a good connection!

Turned out that the negative connector retainer in the cap had worn out just enough to let the connector back off under certain conditions. It took having my buddy move the wires around while he was checking spark as I tried cranking it before we finally confirmed that I was losing spark intermittently. From there, I tossed the cap and pinched the female spade connector over the coil terminal, then wrapped it tight with silicone tape so that it wouldn't move until I said so (which was when I pulled out the duraspark ignition for an HEI setup a couple days later- not as a troubleshooting or repair step, just what I wanted at the time. Eagle drove fine after the terminal fix).

If you have threaded coil terminals and ring connectors, then it's probably not the same issue . Still might be worth making sure that you've got a good ground to the block via the coil retaining clamp. Things got wonky with my Gremlin from the clamp getting loose, in combination with the bolt threads and hole getting packed up with crud over the years.

knightflight View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 10:51pm
Is it hesitation or misfire??

Walt

'68 Rebel SST coupe. (X2)
'69 SC/Rambler (#7 on registry)
'69 Javelin SST Go-Pak 390-4 speed
'70 Rebel Machine 4spd
'72 Javelin AMX 360 ram-air
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic