TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Herman Lewis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2016 at 8:33am
Sometimes you have to pay a little for an education, sometimes you pay a lot!
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
ARK69J View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARK69J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2016 at 8:43am
I know they are not bolt on and go.. geee I know they have never been bolted on or assembled.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2016 at 9:09am
 If you saw the pair Randy Mccorkle ran they were welded everywhere to keep them from leaking. Another gentleman ripped the whole top of the head off from valve spring pressure. If they have never been bolted on you get to make them usable. Oil drainback is poor. Some had ok castings, some were not.
 If your here looking for help then I would advise against them. I'm not trying to be mean. I'm trying to help you.
Guys that know their problems are well versed in correcting those problems. They do make great power, but it usually comes with problems.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2016 at 10:11am
Pair for sale on Facebook right now.........good luck.
ARK69J View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARK69J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 9:30pm
Does anyone know what Herman Lewis had in his AMX that was killing everyone? Wish I knew what was in the motor he raced.
Lenni AMC View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenni AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 12:40am
Why can´t anyone answer this guys question ?
He is not asking if the heads are perfect he is not asking how fast you can go with an un-ported iron head and he is not asking what you can do with a 304 with 2 barrel to make it rev 12000 rpm

He is asking about advice about camshaft and short block, since he already purchased heads, intake and rockers.

So here is what I would do.

Crankshaft: If you don´t have the crank yet I would call King´s Crankshaft http://www.kingscrankshaft.com/ They are super nice and can get you sorted out with pistons rods and the crank and balance everything for you.

Damper: ATI

Rods: Carrillo or Oliver

Pistons and rings: JE ( I would go with a 12:1 to 12.5:1 ) Compression

Oil system: This one becomes a little tricky because there are so many with different opinions on this matter,
You could either buy the Indy timing cover with Razor oil pump or use a good stock cover and pump but in my opinion the problem is not the oil pump it self or the oil passage from the oil pump in my opinion the biggest problem with the AMC oil system is the suction passage to the oil pump. but you can see were you screw the oil pickup in the block size of the passage is not big enough in my opinion since you are sucking oil to the oil pump not pressure feeding it so what I would do if you decide to use the oem timing cover and pump is to make an external line so the oil pump can suck the oil more easely.

Ignition: MSD or something else in my opinion all these aftermarket ignitions perform about the same

Carb: I don´t know if you already have a carb but if you don´t take a look at Pro Systems SV1
Patrick is a cool guy and will get you sorted out with the best carb money can buy.

Camshaft: Talk to Mike Jones http://jonescams.com/ this guy will make you a custom cam, I would not recommend to anyone to get a off the shelf cam
In this case I would go with a Solid Roller

Lifters: This item is a total B I T C H since I have been trying find some lifters my self.
if you are going with the solid roller I would try to talk to someone that is willing to make you a set of solid rollers that have bushed wheel instead of needle bearing.
I´ve been sending emails to everyone I can think of but one has answered me if they are willing to make me a set of lifters, but since you live in the USA its probably easier for you to call and reach someone that is willing to help you out.

Oil Pan: Just some aftermarket deep sump oil pan

Headers: This one becomes a little tricky since I don´t know if you heads have a dogleg port or not.
But don´t go any smaller than 1 7/8" primary´s I would prefer 2" primary´s

Converter: Ultimate Converter Concepts ( UCC ) or ATI

Then finally and the most important item
Since you want to run 10s or 11s I would get a good throttle stop and start with about 50% throttle and see what time that gets you.
I bet you could see 11s with about 50% throttle.

Edited by Lenni AMC - May/18/2016 at 12:43am
AMC Gremlin w/401
6.212 @ 117.01 - 1/8 Mile
9.785 @ 133.11 - 1/4 Mile
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCikyNqrfpMB8VzLd910Hkhg

https://rbjracing1.wixsite.com/website
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 8:01am
Originally posted by ARK69J ARK69J wrote:

Does anyone know what Herman Lewis had in his AMX that was killing everyone? Wish I knew what was in the motor he raced.
All you have to do is call Barry Allen 304-934-6865. Same thing the OP has already done.

SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2016 at 9:35am
x2 on mike jones for the cam although i wouldn't be afraid of anything barry allen or a.h. adkins specs for you either.
rambler 990 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rambler 990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 9:32pm
He ran a 390 with a single 4 barrel. Best I know of is 8.89 Lots of strange stuff as he made it all himself.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2016 at 8:07pm
King's is just down the road.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic