TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Herman Lewis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARK69J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Herman Lewis
    Posted: Mar/27/2016 at 2:03pm
I recently bought a set of Herman Lewis Aluminum Heads and port worked matched intake. I'm looking at building a motor I can drive a few blocks to the local Friday night diner, and take to the track and race between 10 to 11 second in the 1/4 mile. This will be my first attempt at a stroked 401 so I need advise. Anyone with input would help. I just ordered some Yella Terra 6395's for the HLR heads my first step. Now short block is my next step and a camshaft
crossramrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossramrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2016 at 10:15pm
 What are you putting it in?
ARK69J View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARK69J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2016 at 10:36pm
69 AMX
bbgjav View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2016 at 7:19am
Welcome to the forum Andrew.
Bill
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2016 at 7:51am
10 and 11 seconds Herman Heads are not required. IMO your making it harder on yourself. You will have no low end. They are for high rpm engines
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
ARK69J View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARK69J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2016 at 8:03am
Yeah, and is why I decided to keep the AMX a drag car only.. so I'm going high end on everything. But want to start figuring out what's best on the shortblock. Trying to get ideas from others previous builds. What's the best Piston, Rod, cam and pushrods lifters etc.. I already purchased 4 bolt splayed Center caps and Yella Terra platinum Rockers.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2016 at 8:25am
Yesterday at 3:03pm you were gonna drive it to the diner?
Look up Norm Sirois, he has a 10.90 street car he drives daily with unported iron heads and a torker intake.
If your not fully versed in those Herman heads I would save them for a later date.
For me its not a max HP figure. I want good average horsepower. 9.40@2950# with iron heads is making great average power across the board. 
Diamond pistons are a good start.
I have ran carrilo and callies rods but both are Chinese metal. Machined in usa
Bullet cam, Isky EZ roll lifters or morel with bushings
Ferrera valves, T+D rockers because they are the only rocker that pressure oils the bearing.
Rollmaster timing set
King bearings
I've always ran comp pacaloy springs and ti retainers.

SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
dbltrbl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbltrbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2016 at 12:12am
We have similar plans, Hermans heads but on stock stroke 401 for budget reasons, solid flat tappet cam with torker. Port size is large for street use so we are planning to gain back the lost low end torque with high comp ratio, it will be + 14:1, E85 fuel of course.

POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2016 at 8:09am
all i have ever heard about HL heads are horror stories..
hope yours are ready to go and all the bugs have all ready been worked out...

amccar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2016 at 8:22am
Yes they are not just bolt on and go,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic