TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Herman Lewis Intake and Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Herman Lewis Intake and Heads
    Posted: Feb/06/2016 at 5:26pm
Does anyone know how many were made....

JTSLLC1
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2016 at 7:59pm
... must have had some magic pixie dust with that big runner intake, big carb, big valve heads and big tube headers to make almost 420 lbf.ft as low as 2500 rpm with a very broad torque curve ... guess there's more ways to make a good torque curve than a 1 5/8" Grace Billet and 4150 modified Pro-Flo .   

... like Ken Parkman's EMC 406 that made 613hp, 460 lbf.ft@2500rpm, 563 lbf.ft@4700rpm with ported Indy SRs, Indy intake and 1 3/4" headers (albeit with lots of work including reducing the manifold and head intake CSA). 

In addition to HLR sales, Pierre Beauchamp of AMRacing was machining and selling HLR heads years ago (Edit: Only one set per info below), as well as adapting other intakes to AMC. Don't know how many were built?   The HLR intake was said to be a copy of an Edelbrock intake.     

Thanks,RD. 

Edited by Red Devil - Feb/07/2016 at 2:14am
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2016 at 8:57pm
And if you look at the intake on that motor, it's nothing like the regular HLR intake.  Take a look at those equal spaced runners...
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2016 at 10:18pm
Herman made many intakes
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

... must have had some magic pixie dust with that big runner intake, big carb, big valve heads and big tube headers to make almost 420 lbf.ft as low as 2500 rpm with a very broad torque curve ... guess there's more ways to make a good torque curve than a 1 5/8" Grace Billet and 4150 modified Pro-Flo .   

... like Ken Parkman's EMC 406 that made 613hp, 460 lbf.ft@2500rpm, 563 lbf.ft@4700rpm with ported Indy SRs, Indy intake and 1 3/4" headers (albeit with lots of work including reducing the manifold and head intake CSA). 

In addition to HLR sales, Pierre Beauchamp of AMRacing was machining and selling HLR heads years ago, as well as adapting other intakes to AMC. Don't know how many were built?   The HLR intake was said to be a copy of an Edelbrock intake.     

Thanks,RD. 

Exactly.... Thanks for your comments.... 

I wonder how much more HP the motors would produce with a set of Grace Billet, SS collectors and the EFI/4150....

I have been contacted by several engine builders because in actuality the AMC builds are below par to the rest of the competition. If they can resolve their reversion issues and actually achieve increase jetting instead of decreasing.

I plan on testing from the consumer point of view just like the sales rep from Eddy does... So we plan on bolting on a set of Eddy Heads bolt on, no porting, EFI/4150,830 CFM carb, hydraulic flat tappet cam, Grace Billet 1 5/8 stepped to 1 3/4 , Dugan SS collectors with exhaust. Tune for max performance and then swap to what ever Eddy wants to back to back test EFI etc.

We will judge the motor's performance the same as the engine challenge competition just like the motor you like was. I would like to note that it is not determined by MAX. numbers which is what I was trying to express in earlier posts when certain individuals got their panties in a twist. The sales rep from Eddy did not skip a beat when he went over the data. He really likes the Idea of 2500 RPM to 6000 RPM but I will run it to 6500 RPM.

I'am sure the Sales Rep. will entrust the motor challenge numbers and he will be present at the Dyno test along with others who are non bias and want to see. Then hopefully off to the track we go...
Now we can compare to other builds....

Here is Kens...

Thought I would add the Rambler engine build to this thread. At this point have got some data and track time so I thinks it's worthwhile to mention. This thing is intended as a true street drive anywhere low maintenance pump gas combo and it is a bit of a science experiment to make the most NA power within those rules. So far I've driven it maybe 800 miles and am starting to get a little more confident in it.

The engine:
426, 10.14 compression, 6" rod. The pistons are 4032 instead of 2618 for a little better streetability. Pistons fully coated.
Edelbrock heads, 2.055/1.600 valves. Quite a bit of work due the inches and 6500 rpm target. 287 cfm, 2.56 min csa
Torker intake enlarged to match, 1000 cfm 4150 holley
Crane HR232 cam, 232/240 on a 110 lsa, installed at 105 intake cl. .598"/.584" lift with the 1.7/1.6 HS shaft rockers.
Beehive springs to try to get a little more usable rpm from the HR
1 3/4" hooker headers, the car has 2 1/2" exhaust to the bumper, H pipe, and relatively quiet Dynomax mufflers
BHJ damper, Canton pan, IHJ scrapers, and a few other minor tricks.

On the engine Dyno it made 567 hp at 6050 rpm, 560 ft-lbs at 4700. This is on an older manual dyno, and the numbers are corrected to J607. The installation was no accessories with an electric pump drive, open headers but not the ones from the car cause they would not clear. These are my dyno headers, cheap 1 3/4 CJ fender well hedmans. The cooling tower has a 170 F thermostat, so the running temperature was approaching 190. This was where I learned about boiling in Edelbrock heads.

On the chassis dyno it made 472 rwhp. This is a dynojet using J1349, about 4% lower reading. It is not a 95 hp loss due to the different standard and installation losses. With a little bit of guess work due to the exhaust and accessory differences I figure about a 7% difference. engine to chassis. It pulls very well to 6500 and does not drop of much, something HR's are not good at.

At the track it went an 11.05 @ 125.7 mph in the approx 3250 lb Rambler. This is in street trim as I drive it to work with MT DR 235 tires, with a Mcleod diaphragm clutch, a Tremec TKO, and a 9"Ford with a 3.55 trutrac diff. Clearly an example of how not to set up a drag car with tremendous traction problems and a pathetic 1.68 second 60 foot.

On the street it drives decent, but I still have some carb issues to work out. It's a touch lean under WOT and light throttle cruise and won't respond to jetting. Have to learn more about tuning carbs. But with the lean cruise and the OD tranny it gets fantastic milage! On the pavement shiner tires it's almost dangerous; 1st and 2nd gear are useless, and in 3rd it will still spin if you roll into the throttle. I definitely do not drive it in the rain! BTW the vacuum wipers still work, but that are pretty slow at idle. I also get more valvetrain noise then I wanted, not sure why.

Here is another build...

With Indy SR aluminum heads and a custom Comp Cams solid cam, Westech Automotive’s 11.5:1 AMC 390 made 515.3 lb-ft and 541.5 hp on pump premium unleaded. For details, see our Aug. ’04 print edition or sister pub JP Magazine’s website, JPMagazine.com.

Here is Dennis

Here are the spec's on my 401 stroker with 9.5:1 compression.

401, 4.185 bore (30 over), 3.780” stroke. (Now 416 Cu, In.)

Offset ground crank

J&E pistons
9.5:1 comp.
5.850" Carrillo rods
Fully balanced rotating assembly
Edelbrock RPM series heads (straight out of the box)
Crane 1.6 roller rockers
EPC Flat tappet cam and lifters 
Intake 220 @ .050 Exhaust 222 @.050.494/.493 lift 114 lobe separation

Edelbrock roller timing chain and gears
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 2 EFI system
Mallory billet dist.

Edelbrock water pump

Dyno results

458HP @ 5500 RPM

478 Ft. Lb. @ 4500 RPM
Dennis

Last but not least Eddy's

The 433 HP is not a prediction, it's dyno tested fact!

I guess if we took Eddys EFI intake and made it a 4150 and have 431 RWHP with the alt and water pump on we would get their attention.... Especially with 1 5/8 headers and mild ported iron heads..

JTSLLC1
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

In addition to HLR sales, Pierre Beauchamp of AMRacing was machining and selling HLR heads years ago, as well as adapting other intakes to AMC. Don't know how many were built?   The HLR intake was said to be a copy of an Edelbrock intake.     

Thanks,RD. 

The only pair of HLR heads I'm aware of that Pierre of Montreal had were given to him by Herman because of being so porous they leaked like a sieve. I had his exact setup as the dyno shootout engine including the Yellow Terra rockers. I found them to be rough around the edges and being the intake wouldn't fit under the AMX hood I passed them along to a fellow in Vancouver in favor of Indy heads/ intake. I understood that intake design originated from Traco. Herman made up heads and head/intake packages on a per order bases. I doubt his ported aluminum heads would have outperformed a well done OEM head?  

SKeown

Edited by SKeown - Feb/07/2016 at 1:19am
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 1:36am
I believe AMRacing did have an agreement with HLR to machine their castings and sell them (Edit: Only one set per info below). I got a quote from them on a set, but decided to go with Indy SRs.

Jtsllc1, it would be interesting to see what your exhaust and modified intake would do, but my point was the "too-big" combos that you have been saying are poor can still make a strong torque curve. 

AM Racing details on the HLR

Edited by Red Devil - Feb/07/2016 at 2:16am
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 1:50am
Here's what AM Racing claimed for flow on their HLR heads.   But looking at the picture Jtsllc1 posted of the EMC engine, it looks like an individual runner intake and head, rather than a paired runner?   Not sure on that?

Claimed 276cfm@0.500" ported and 310cfm@0.700 ported ... but not sure valve size?

SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 1:57am

My impression of Pierre wasn't great. I'm aware he listed HLR heads on his site, but was told by Herman that he only provided Pierre with two heads that had been scrapped due to poor casting quality. I'm also aware that Pierre offered those heads as drag race only due to their inability to retain coolant.

SKeown 
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 2:11am
Ok. Will certainly trust Herman's word and apology for posting incorrect info. 

Thanks, RD. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic