TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help with headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with headers
    Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 8:10pm
I know this question has been asked many times before and I have tried the search engine, but for some reason I am unable to get it to work. I have a 1971 AMX javelin and planned on purchasing headers from Control Freak but that's not going to happen. I first contacted them over a year ago but at that time they said they were out of stock. I e-mailed them on a regular basis and they kept promising me they would be getting them in but it never happened, eventually they stopped responding so I called and left a message but no response. Well today I spoke with them and I found out that they no longer have a company making them but hope to someday not anytime soon though. That brings me to the question, what brand header is the best to go with? I know some would say to go with free flows but I think I would prefer headers so any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My car has a 401 engine and Edelbrock heads it also has a 4 speed. Thank you in advance for any and all opinions

Buster Pile
53w View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 1:43am
If i had it to do all over i would go with the shorty headers..dont know who currently makes them for 71-74 javelin
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 3:35am
Patriot Exhaust. P/N H8600.   You can get them thru Summit.   Won't fit the small body though.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 11:57am
I've had both and unless you want/need maximum performance, I'd never use a long tube again. Just not worth the hassle and ground clearance if you drive it much.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 2:14pm
How about this if I went with long tube headers which is the best fit Hedmans Doug's or Hookers. I still for some reason cannot do a search on this site not sure what the problem is. I know this subject has been discussed many times.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 2:46pm
Scene One, there is a cool read on long tube headers. Can't remember the name of the poster, but did a nice job doing a wee modification to make a perfect fit. I think Greyhound or what ever... will look into doing some elfin magic and see what I come up with.

Yep I found it... i think you are capable of pulling off this type of mod.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/header-hack_topic80213.html

Edited by 304-dude - May/05/2017 at 2:51pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 3:31pm
I run the Doug's on my 1970 Javelin with 401 and Eddy aluminum heads. I had a 727 in it and needed to clearance the passenger side headers just a bit to clear the transmission. I also had to clearance even more than alotted for the headbolts. Clearancing for the headbolts was easy because the motor was on a stand at the time so the 10 or so times of test fit/grind/test fit/grind was simple. Trying to get it just right in the car would have been possible but a much bigger hassle. However, I do have to say they are a nice set of headers, well made and once clearanced go on and off very easy.
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Scene One, there is a cool read on long tube headers. Can't remember the name of the poster, but did a nice job doing a wee modification to make a perfect fit. I think Greyhound or what ever... will look into doing some elfin magic and see what I come up with.

Yep I found it... i think you are capable of pulling off this type of mod.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/header-hack_topic80213.html

Thanks 304 and shootist, I like the idea of making mods if need be to get a good fit. Even better if they made a good fitting header. I guess I will look into getting a set of Doug's unpainted and see what happens from there. I have held up installing the strut rods, steering column and clutch linkage till my headers were in so I guess we'll see how it goes. One more question, is it best to go with bolts or studs for attaching them? Thank you both again for your response's
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2017 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

Patriot Exhaust. P/N H8600.   You can get them thru Summit.   Won't fit the small body though.

Bob
tufcj

Do you mean these shorty Patriot headers won't fit the OP's '71 AMX?
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2017 at 7:31pm
I use bolts on my Doug's headers. Again, after a little grinding of the flange where they just didn't quite and clearancing the passenger side a bit to clear the 727 they were great. They really do not hang too low. Not as low as some others that I have had in the past.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic