TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

help w/headliner install 69 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burrpenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help w/headliner install 69 AMX
    Posted: Dec/16/2017 at 7:35pm
Its the one piece fiberglass from Kennedy American. Got the old one out and cleaned up the roof, then installed some insulation- the original just had a small square of foam in the middle. Got the new one in, but was trying to decide how to proceed. Was thinking I can have my helper hold it up while I install the removable (w/locator pinsmetal) side channels- thinking that will hold it up and make sure its centered, but now to center it front to back? Thinking I'll just have to get the front edge up close to the edge of the glass and then check the back- and adjust if necessary. Now finding the holes for the visors and coat hooks will be trick- hoping someone can offer some suggestions. I have marked the bottom hole for the coat hook and visor BELOW where they actually are, since that area will be covered up by the headliner when its in place.  Thanks, George
George-'69 AMX 390/AT
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 7:58am
2 or 3 people would be good, seats out.
I first hold the head liner in location sides and front and mark the steel so you know were it goes back.
Then put "flush" screws in all the places holes have to be drilled.
Put blue or some kind of making compound (grease works) on the screw heads and position the head liner back to your marked location.
Press all along without moving the head liner off location to get the transfer from the screw heads to the head liner.
Remove the headliner and drill the center of the marked locations.
Cover your new head liner and install.
Hope this helps.
burrpenick View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burrpenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 3:32pm
Day 3............... It appears this one piece plastic headliner has some extra all the way around. Its a jagged cut and it WONT fit in the side rails so we can adjust it from front to rear. We tried bending it some but its  already bumping up against the metal roof reinforcement cross piece so there is just no place for it bend. I'm planning to cut a 1/4" off the sides (front section only that drops in the metal rails). These cuts will not get into the ribs of the liner and there will still be material angling downward to drop into the rails. Not any cut on the rear side section that appears to only butt up against the plastic rails over the wheel tubs. We may end up having to take more than a 1/4" off those sides to get it to fit inside those rails, and will most likely trim up the ends too as they appear to be in the way of getting the cover molding back on. Once its in the grooves on the metal rails, it looks like it wont be too much trouble to get the visor screws started, but its NOT EASY, didnt remove the seats and hope I dont have too. 

Anyone install one of these plastic liners???? Would like to hear if you also have to do some trimming before it would drop down into the side rails.

George in Tallahassee
George-'69 AMX 390/AT
Rogue343 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 5:39pm
George, helped my brother install a new headliner in his 69 AMX when doing the resto.  Got his from APD and am assuming they are the same as the ones from Kennedy.  IIRC we had to trim excess from all the way around the headliner as it looks like it is molded with extra material on all 4 sides.  We used the original as a template so we did not trim off to much.  IIRC there are also small dimples in the mold for the visor screw locations, don't remember if there was anything marking the coat hook holes or if we measured off the old headliner.  Also think we had to trim a little around the center of the front edge to get clearance for the mirror to install but don't hold me to that one can't remember for sure.
1967 Rambler Rogue 'X' code 343 4 speed
1966 Rambler American 440 4 door Factory 290 (now 360) 4 speed VIN 100003
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 5:54pm
Trimming fiberglass is best done with a mini grinder with a thin cut off wheel, and not a saw. The saw will leave shards and no clean edge, possible to crack thin sections. The grinder can also taper were needed to get a better fit. Don't go too aggressive and heat the material. 

70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 6:00pm
I have one sitting in my basement waiting for me to install when I do the resto on our 69. You have to wonder.........all 2 seat AMX's have the exact same roof.......why can't they be "made" to fit?

I'm sure nobody on the assembly line was trimming vinyl covered molded headliners!
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burrpenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 6:43pm
THANKS TO ALL, AND i AGREE that is sure looks like there is extra material all the way around. and yes, there are dimples for the visors- although I'm not sure they are in the exact location they need to be. I do have parts of the old one that I can use to check the width of this one- again something I didnt consider. Looks like I will be taking it back out of the car. george 
George-'69 AMX 390/AT
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 7:23pm
The original liners were pressed glass fiber board, paper, vinyl coverings and flexible, that's why they fell down over the years and also why they could be easily pushed in at the factory and holes drilled through - not pre-drilled.
The fiberglass will not fall over time but has to be drilled to the locations the assembly line worker used. That's why the slots for screws in the body, the worker could be off a 1/4" and it didn't matter.
We are trying to "restore" to better then factory but still have to work around factory assembly methods of the day.
Extra material is just to ensure no returns for things like crooked screws, missing screws, factory oops...
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burrpenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 8:11pm
I can somewhat understand the aftermkt adding some for safety, but they come w/NO instructions- thinking that would be a good idea: MAY HAVE TO TRIM!

Also I may have  one time mentioned these are made of fiberglass. I dont think that is the case. They seem like a plastic- no strands, will flex some but is pretty sturdy.

Just hoping tomorrow I will be able to fit it correctly! That means back out of the car, which was no easy feat in itself.
George-'69 AMX 390/AT
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 8:48pm
The seats really need to come out, 15 minutes tops. I pull the drivers just to work under the dash.  
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic