TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

help w 68-70 AMX grill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burrpenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help w 68-70 AMX grill
    Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 7:43pm
The two lower/outer mounts broke during removal. Was thinking someone suggested NOT using some of the mounts on these grills, are these the points that would same the grill from damage if it gets twisted? 
George-'69 AMX 390/AT
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 10:13pm
These break all the time due to the ABS becoming brittle with age. Others use plastic epoxy to fix and reinforce. I like using a 40 watt soldering iron to weld the old pieces back on and reinforce with epoxy. Still others will weld new ABS and finish to original. Your choice but easier to fix then the cost to replace. 
burrpenick View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burrpenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2017 at 8:40am
My grill is not broken, just two of the 3 lower fasteners, but I seem to remember on another AMX being told that its best to leave some of the fasteners off- it keeps it from breaking up if it gets nudged. I must cant remember what fasteners, but these bottom ones seem likely.
George-'69 AMX 390/AT
AMXTSY View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2017 at 9:13am

There originally were two long rubber strips underneath some of the early model grilles. These serve as cushions and help to support the weight of the grille. Many times now, these isolators are completely missing. They tend to deteriorate over the years and fall off or just never seem to get put back on if/when the grille ever gets removed.
This is a pretty commonly overlooked problem. Without them, it can lead to mounting tab cracking and additional grille damage. A piece of foam or thick weatherstrip can be used instead- all to help take some some of the stress off the bottom of the grille.
Maybe something to consider when reinstalling. Good luck with your repairs. Bruce

Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928
burrpenick View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burrpenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2017 at 9:17am
I noticed my car (from Dennis Allen) had the pads! My last AMX did not, yes, those will make a good support base.  
George-'69 AMX 390/AT
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2017 at 12:17pm
Use PLASTEX to construct new tabs that will be as strong or stronger than the originals.

http://www.plastex.net/    

It's available on Ebay too.

Works absolutely great. Fixed the ABS dash with it. Even cracks can be fixed and completely disappear without paint if you know how.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic