TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help to ID SCHIEFER AMC FLYWHEEL-390

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help to ID SCHIEFER AMC FLYWHEEL-390
    Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 8:47pm
Forgot I had this and almost positive it's for a 390 but want to make sure. Part# is 40-50308 & also has number 55508. Any help appreciated.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 10:08am
It looks like your going to have to find someone with an original Schiefer catalogue.
The numbers are definitely not big block Chev or Ford from what I've searched.
That said from what I read Schiefer were known for lighter weight and neutral balance flywheels at the time.
It may bolt up but the neutral balance would have to be dealt with if that's the case.  
amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 7:15pm
I compared it to a stock 390 flywheel, and was a couple pounds lighter and looks the same. Attached photo of the other side, and you can see it was drilled on rim for balancing like stock flywheels. 

Anyone have an old Schiefer catalog?  

Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 9:34pm
If you have a stock flywheel or flex plate then a machine shop can compare the two. If they balance the same less the two lbs you are good to go. A good shop should be able to calculate for the weight difference. That's what they do when switching between a flywheel and flex plate.
amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 2:47pm
Thanks Lyle!
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 4:35pm
A friend of mine knows the grandson of the original Schiefer Performance owner. He is going to try and get in touch with him to see if he has any information on that flywheel.

Dennis   
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 10:35am
Thanks Dennis! Let us know.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 12:33pm
I also have 40 pound steel schiefer flywheel that I purchased (supposed to fit the 343) and I had it precision balanced with the whole rotating assembly.  I am assembling that motor now.  The number stamped on the flywheel is 40-50408.  I purchased the Shiefer catalog I reference below after I bought the flywheel, but as you will see it was only a little helpful. All that it told me was that Shiefer produced both steel and aluminum flywheels (among many other parts) and that one part number applies to 343,360 and 390 engines.  I will say that the shop that balanced my wheel along with the rotating assembly drilled out a buttload of metal to get it to balance.  The shop has a great reputation and I'm glad I had it done.  I can send pics of the back side where they drilled it but it looks the the one you pictured in your original post.  Note that the digit "4" in my flywheel could ( and probably does) mean that it is a 40 pound flywheel).  Yours is reportedly a 30 pound flywheel.  Although the catalog numbers won't help you, the fact that the same flywheels were meant to apply to 343, 360 and 390 engines is a telling point.

My Shiefer catalog lists the AMC flywheels (all fit 343, 360 and 390) engines as 630-0032 (aluminum) 630-0025 (30 pound steel) and 634-0025 (40 pound steel).   The catalog goes on to mention that for best performance, the flywheels should be re-balanced with the engine.   

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 7:28am
I once owned a 30 lb one for a 343 balance well
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by amxess amxess wrote:

Thanks Dennis! Let us know.

Not much help!

The grandson asked his dad and his dad said he doesn't think that number was an AMC flywheel and he recognized the number, but thought it was for a more common flywheel than AMC.

Since pacerman has an old catalog maybe he can find the number of yours listed for another application??

Dennis   
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic