TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help on cam selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help on cam selection
    Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 9:26pm
Not sure what to do looking for help
Want to go bigger on cam but not sure witch one to get. Here what I have
72 sst with a newer 360 around 1987 ish rebuilt 30 over with edelbrock performer intake with 600 edelbrock carb,stock converter running 2.73 ish gears and stock manifolds. Would like thumpy sound but not to sure how much I could run with the stock bridged rockers.....HELP
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 12:53pm
With the low rear gears you probably should be careful not to shift the powerband up to high, as you'll be spending a fair bit of time in the lower RPM range.

Here's three cams you might check out, in order of increasing overlap / powerband RPM:

1) Lunati 10100276 (1200-5200)
  2) Elgin E1041-P (1500-5500)
  3) Isky 270-HL (2000-6000)

They will all give you dynamic compression ration in the 6.7-6.8 range, assuming your rebuild used stock replacement type pistons, leaving you with an 8.3:1 static CR. It should be no problem to run 87 octane.

The Lunati will probably give the best overall performance due to less overlap. The Isky would give the most aggressive idle, but you would be sacrificing a little low end.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 5:12pm
Which Super Sonic Transportation vehicle do you have?
pjsst View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 9:36pm
will any of these work with stock rockers i have the bridged rockers and really dont wont to have any machine work done to the heads or have to take them off ....thanx a bunch for the info 
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 3:17am
No more than a comp 268 or lunati equivalent
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by pjsst pjsst wrote:

will any of these work with stock rockers i have the bridged rockers and really dont wont to have any machine work done to the heads or have to take them off ....thanx a bunch for the info 

All of those would work with stock rockers, but none will work with stock springs. Your springs and retainers will need to be upgraded for any performance camshaft, and generally the spring pockets need to be machined to fit the new springs, which is usually done with the heads off.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 1:45pm
Cams with tighter lobe centers have more overlap (intake and exhaust valves both open at the same time) and a rougher idle.

^this occurs after the power stroke, as the exhaust valve is closing, and the intake valve is opening.

Moving the intake and exhaust lobes closer together on this part of the cycle means you are actually spreading the lobes apart on the compression side of the stroke.
So, although it seems almost everyone thinks the lopey cam kills cylinder pressure,
tightening the lobe centers actually increases cylinder pressure compared the having the same duration cam with wider lobe seperation.

In other words,
tigher lobe centers = rougher idle AND higher dynamic compression ratio  (a good thing with stock low compression pistons).

Isky was always cutting their hydro-flat tappet cams on a 108* lobe center,
and I think their 268 & 270 cams had under .500" lift,
so either would work in a low comoression 360 that wanted a little bit of a rumpy idle.

Like Greyhounds says above, you need to run the sppropriate springs to match the cam 

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Greyhounds_AMX Greyhounds_AMX wrote:

The Lunati will probably give the best overall performance due to less overlap. The Isky would give the most aggressive idle, but you would be sacrificing a little low end.

just so I don't sound like I'm disagreeing with Chris,
there is a ton of room for interesting discussion about exactly what overlap does at the lower rpm ranges.
Yep it does gum up the works at some point with exhaust and intake gasses mixing,
but at some point the exiting exhaust through an efficient system can also help to pull the fresh charge into the cylinder when the piston has not yet started dropping fast enough to draw the charge in by itself.

So tight lobe center cams tend to have peakier torque curves,
but they also have a reputation for running out of top end power sooner,
but that isn't always the case.

(I love a good cam conversation Smile )

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 11:27pm
I should have given more of the details of those three cams - here they are:

1) Lunati 10100276: 268/268, 218/218, 0.488/0.488, 110 LCA, 106 ICL
  2) Elgin E1041-P:     284/284, 218/218, 0.488/0.488, 110 LCA, 105 ICL
  3) Isky 270-HL:       270/270, 216/216, 0.470/0.470, 108 LCA, 106 ICL

These three are also fun to look at because they all use a different lift as the basis for their "advertised" duration (the first numbers I listed above). Comparing them all at 0.006" though shows quite a difference:

1) Lunati: 268/268 @ 0.006"
2) Elgin:  276/276 @ 0.006"
3) Isky:   274/274 @ 0.006"

The Elgin cam used an advertised duration at 0.004" in order to make it look larger, while the Isky cam is advertised at 0.007" so it ends up looking a little smaller.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2018 at 12:31am
Of those three. I would choose the lunati
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic