TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help installing V8 In Hornet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amchaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help installing V8 In Hornet
    Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 8:14pm
Guys there must be a easy way to install the V8 engine in the Hornet. I tried all day could not get the new engine into the cross member. There must be a easy solution. i can't gert the mounts in the cross member.Trying to do this by myself. I am just off a half inch.it is forward. What is the trick to get the mounts in place.I pulled the old V8 out so i know the new one will fit just can't get it to drop in the hiles.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 8:19pm
Rear end of trans too low. Place a jack under it. Might also be easier to mount the mounts and bracket to the cross member first, then bolt up to the engine when it's in place.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 8:23pm
Yeah,  mounting the mounts to the cross member makes it drop in a wee easier.  
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
xspiriment View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 8:26pm
loosen up all the mount bolts, just enough to jiggle the brackets and mounts. If It gives you enough free play to get the mount studs through the cross member start the nuts and slowly retighten all bolts as the engine is set in position.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 8:39pm

Originally posted by xspiriment xspiriment wrote:

loosen up all the mount bolts, just enough to jiggle the brackets and mounts. If It gives you enough free play to get the mount studs through the cross member start the nuts and slowly retighten all bolts as the engine is set in position.

What I do to align the engine when installing the bolts to the engine mounts...
Lower the engine till it just starts to settle into the engine mounts,  then check by hand if I can shift it a wee bit. You may have to lift a wee bit,  not much.  Then from underneath I stick a flat blade through one of the engine mount holes and into the engine block's corresponding hole to shift into place,  by leverage.  Then thread in a bolt to hold position and continue with finishing the side.  I don't tighten the bolts down until all 6 are installed.

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/26/2015 at 8:42pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
amchaney View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amchaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 10:09pm
Thanks everyone for your advice. I have the engine mounts in the cross member. the transmission cross member is holding the trans up. I do not have the bolts from the transmission cross member mount bolted to the trans yet..Engine bolt holes are about 1/2 inch forward from location mounting holes in the block.At one point I had the drivers side in place but the passenger side was to far forward to slip into the cross member.
I lifted the engine and it popped out of place on the drivers side. I now have some ideas of what to try tomorrow thanks everyone for there little tricks. will try them in the morning.worked 3-4 hours today trying to get the engine bolted up i am beat need another set  of hands doing this with one person is difficult.Was planning on going to NAMDRA, but I start a new job on the 8th of September.

Big smile
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 10:29pm
you do have the V8 crossmember?   even if its a V8, its not easy. its hard to get it in. I speak from experience...lol
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2015 at 8:52am
Easiest install for me was with engine and transmission crossmembers removed, control arms tied back and steering linkage out of the way ... jacked up car, slide engine & trans underneath, drop car and raise engine and trans up into place. Was swapping from 6cyl to V8 and manual to power steering, so had most of the stuff out of the way.
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2015 at 9:02am
When I put the 304 in the Spirit GT last century, I did not have the trans crossmember in place. It made moving the engine around a lot easier. Once I got the engine where it needed to be, I jacked up the trans (not on the pan) and put that crossmember in place. Even though, it was a tight fit and I had a tilting engine lift.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2015 at 11:12am
Russ you dork!  I showed you how to do that once..LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic