TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

HELP! Gremlin Brake Drum Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2017 at 8:37pm
Back in the day, aftermarket wheels were often sold with the warning that they may not fit all cars.
The famous Torque Thrust D wheel is thusly named because it fit cars equipped with the new-fangled "Disc" brakes.  Regular Torque Thrusts were designed for drum brakes.

Even a lot of our cars from the factory came with wheel spacers....  some AMX's if they were ordered with drum brakes and Magnum wheels came with 1/4" spacers.  I also had to use very thin spacers on my drum brake Hornet hatch to fit the Magnums on.

Nature of the beast, really.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 4:31pm
The aluminum spacers have no stress on them. As long as the lug nus are tight they will be as good as any other spacer that costs more.
Frank Swygert
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 7:46pm
I'm concerned that the cheap spacers, being a unilug style, are not centered on the hub. The more expensive ones have several sets of holes drilled to fit may applications, not oval holes. 

I'm getting a "wobble" at certain speeds that I didn't have before. The rims and tires are balanced. So unless there's an issue with my new drums, I suspect the cheap spacers are just not centered. 

Thoughts on this? 

Thanks!
Kensey
Gremmy Power!!!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 11:38pm
i too would suspect the spacers. i've used spacers in the past, but got tired of messing around and bought custom steel wheels and did away with the kludge.

i accumulated multiple sets. i have some of those low quality oval holed versions, cheap rough castings, never liked them, and bought some nicely machined ones with a dual pattern, drilled round holes. i used those. they were fine.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 5:58am
It's possible the spacers could be throwing balance off a bit. Won't know until you get better ones. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic