TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

HELP! Gremlin Brake Drum Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! Gremlin Brake Drum Question
    Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 3:20pm
Hi all.

My 72 Gremlin is stuck at Firestone because they f-ed up one of my front drums. Don't ask...

I ordered two new ones from Rockauto.com. I got the drums, but there are no hubs in them??
Did I get the wrong part? OR do my hubs get pressed out of my existing and put into my new ones? 

If I got the wrong part, can anyone tell me where I can get the correct drums??

THANKS!!!
Kensey
Pittsburgh, PA

Gremmy Power!!!
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 3:39pm
Drums should come off the hub, for new drum fitment.

It is possible the drum froze to the face of the hub, by rust around the hub snout. Spraying with PB blaster and letting it soak for a bit, then with snout faced down on a block of wood, whack the back edges of the drum in a star pattern. It should drop off the hub.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 3:47pm
Sometimes you have to drive all the lug nut studs out, then  pound the hub out of the drum. And hope you don't bend or otherwise damage the hub while doing this. Then drive all the studs back in once the new drum is on the hub. 

Depending on how hard they are to get apart, I would consider replacing just one drum, as long as the other is still usable. But, if they fall right off the hub, replace both.

What Firestone is your car at?? Rt 8,  RT 19 Wexford??
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 5:29pm
Scott. It's the Firestone on Route 8. 

I took my new set of Cragar SS rims up there to be mounted. The fronts need 1/2 in spacers and longer studs. The rim center is hitting the outer edge of the drum. I had no idea I'd have to do this. I'm gonna get the good Billet spacers, not the cheap ones. 

Anyway, when they torqued one of the front rims down waaaaay to hard they bent the drum slightly. It's rubbing the backing plate. I've never seen anyone do that before. In their defense, I didn't know they needed spacers either. 

I never imagined putting new rims on was going to be so difficult. But she's gonna be female canineIN' with those Cragars!!!
Gremmy Power!!!
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 5:32pm
My current FENTON alum slots fit fine. 
Gremmy Power!!!
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 6:28pm
Custom wheels can be a hassle to fit at times. Hopefully you get it sorted out! Cragar SS's are hard to beat, one of the best looking wheels ever!

I had a good experience at that Firestone when I had the front end aligned on my Javelin. I told the service writer I wanted their absolute best front end guy to do it. He gave the job to a young guy that really knew what he was doing & got the alignment perfect.

A few years later I took my driver to them for 2 front tires. I got an older guy who mounted the tires. He wrote me a $2500 estimate for all the work my car "needed". I told him "No way!" & asked for my car. He made me sign off that I was driving a death trap & that they were not responsible for my impending demise behind the wheel, before they would release my car. I drove the car for another 6 years & never fixed a single thing on the list they gave me. It passed inspection every year no problem.
andyleonard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 8:01pm
I did this today. I tried a press but the center of the drum is very soft and immediately distorted.

I PB Blasted the stud holes and both sides of the hub joint, then propane heated the drum just outside the hub on both sides, then I flipped the assembly drum down/studs up and started whacking the studs in a star pattern with a copper hammer. It took about 4 hits on each stud before they let go. Both were the same.
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 10:14pm
You have to remove the studs first they are swaged(?) to the drum.
 Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2017 at 2:28pm
My brother bought a set of Cragar S/S wheels [14x6] for his '71 Gremlin back in '74 or so.

To avoid using spacers, he chiseled the balance weights off the drums.

RESULT? The shank-type lug nuts bottomed out on the drum and wouldn't come off. He trashed one of the wheels taking the offending lug nut off.

My advice? Use the spacers.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2017 at 8:21pm
UPDATE: I drove to Summit today and got spacers and longer studs. Unfortunately my 1/2 in spacers were super close, so we decided just to be safe to add a set of 1/4 in spacers. I had to get those from Advanced Auto, so they're the cast alum one. Will have to do for now. 

So I now have two new drums up front, longer stud, two spacers on each side BUT my rims are on. 

I plan on replacing the cast alum spacers with the good ones asap. 

Thanks all!
Gremmy Power!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic