TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help!!! fresh rebuilt won't start.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tached_out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2018 at 4:27pm
Please let me clarify. If the manual says advance the distributor, I'm assuming (perhaps erroneously) that you plan to achieve that by turning the distributor in a clockwise direction. If so, this is wrong. This is advancing the distributor's position in the block but it has the opposite effect on timing. 

In a running engine, the distributor shaft rotates clockwise. When adjusting the spark timing you advance the spark by rotating the distributor housing counterclockwise, against the direction the shaft turns. You retard spark by rotating the distributor housing clockwise, in the direction the shaft turns.

In your case, setting timing in a not running engine, if you want to make the points open when they should by rotating the distributor, you have to turn it backwards against shaft rotation so the points open on the front of the cam. This is advancing the spark, but it is retarding the position of the distributor in the block.

I'm sorry if I confused the issue.
tached_out View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tached_out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2018 at 4:43pm
Even with this said, you're going to be off with your initial setting. You should be setting initial timing at more like 10 degrees not TDC. Plus you should use a test light to determine accurately when the points are opening, not watching to see when they begin to open.

Your timing light will tell you how close or far off you were if you use it to check your timing before you attempt to start it.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2018 at 5:15pm
10 degrees BTDC (before top dead center).
Frank Swygert
Jay68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 11:39am
Well, I had a little time between snow storms to make it out to the shop.  I removed all the spark plugs and I also removed the valve covers. The plugs were little wet from fuel. I did a compression test and all 8 cylinders had a compression between 147-150 psi. So I ruled out valves not closing.  

I followed a couple of the recommendations here.  I watched #6 cylinder valves and just when they started to open I checked #1 cylinder and it was on the compression stroke, the compression gauge was also showing compression. The timing mark on the balance was @ 5 degrees BTDC. So I left it there.  I checked my distributor and the rotor was right on they #1 spark plug location.

I then installed the rotor and inserted a plug into the #1 wire, and checked the spark. I believe this is my problem as my spark was intermittent and a very pale orange color, not the sharp crisp blue it needs to be.

Going to get new plugs, wires, rotor and coil and go from there. Once I get everything I am going to time to 10 BTDC without the plugs in.

I will let everyone know as things progress.  

Edited by Jay68SST - Jan/15/2018 at 11:42am
Jay68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 6:56pm
YES!!!!! I finally got it running.  It was spark! Bought a new HEI distributor, new wires and new plugs. Installed them and it fired up immediately. I ran it for about 20-25 minutes at 2000-2200 RPMs to break in the cam. Oil pressure was great, and temp never rose above 180.  I then set the idle removed the vacuum advance line and set the timing at 10 degrees TDC.

What even makes it better was that it is my birthday, what a great birthday gift! 

Video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5uGLI2jHwA&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Jay68SST - Jan/28/2018 at 7:25pm
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 7:03pm
That is good news, Happy birthday!
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 7:18pm
Happy birthday Jay and congratulations. This is awesome news. So glad to hear it wasn't something major.
Jay68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by myrambler myrambler wrote:

Happy birthday Jay and congratulations. This is awesome news. So glad to hear it wasn't something major.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5uGLI2jHwA&feature=youtu.be
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 7:44pm
Good job. Now I hope you installed the matched distributor gear on the new distributor!!

Don't use the one that came on the distributor from the box!!!
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Jay68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

Good job. Now I hope you installed the matched distributor gear on the new distributor!!

Don't use the one that came on the distributor from the box!!!

Yes, I changed the gear, read too many horror stories.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic