TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help ! center console

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help ! center console
    Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 1:32pm
hi, 
i´m going to restore the center console of my AMX 1973 JAVELIN. It isn´t very bad but need to be restore. 
It has some holes, a ckrack, and some scrapes.
I need help, because I don´t know, which kind of material is made of. I´t looks like fiber glass, but I´m no sure.
I thinking on two options. 
1) cut of the back end of it (where the ashtray is) and do again in fiber glass . (I oll redy have remove the frond ashtray and put a cuple of clocks instead) . And cover the hold pice in black leader.
This could be the beter looking, but it´s gone to be the most time costly and a bit dificult on the leader part of the job becose of the complex form.
2) fild the holds and fix the ckak and paint in black, leaving the ashtray as it is. 

I´l be happy of any sugestions and advice you can give me on the matter. 
PD; English is not may mother tonge. I apologise if i make some mistakes on my writting  (i´l be happy is you point out the mistakes) . Pleasse make your answers in plane english if it´s possible

I did a few photos, it´s is the first time i put a photo on a post i hope doing right

Edited by PABLO - Oct/25/2017 at 12:52pm
1973 JAVELIN AMX 360 AUTO
1973 DODGE 3700 GT (built in Spain)
SPAIN (EUROPE)
PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2017 at 1:11pm
I´d decided a mix 
I´l take out the ashtray and cover the hole with some wood. Repair the rest of cracks, holes, etc and cover with leather. That way I´l keep the original piece without damage underneath.

For the holes I´l try with a bar of exposy resine, the ones they sell in a two components to mix. 
i´l post new photos as the job goes on.

I´l be happy to hear some opinions on the matter.

bye
SPAIN (EUROPE)
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2017 at 1:19pm
look up a product called   "plastex"   its awesome for making parts that you dont have.  very strong bond.  
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2017 at 1:51pm
I don't know your particular console and exactly what it is made out of but for general plastic repairs SEM products are the absolute best in my opinion. I have painted interior parts getting amazing results. Years ago I painted a white bucket seat black and you couldn't tell it was ever white even years later of daily use. 

But give their tech line a call and get some good info. https://www.semproducts.com/contact-us

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2017 at 1:53am
Thanks Brian,
I all ready bought a can of sem paint, which i did not use jet. As you said i had hear that is a good product.
Finily i think I´l cover it in leather, because the finish is gona be beter cuality.
I check the material and it is not plastic, becouse of that I´m fixing the damage using a espoxy bar. I fixed the crack with 4 screws and a piece of wood.
It looks good and firm.
Here are some photos

thanks again for the coments!

SPAIN (EUROPE)
PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2017 at 2:07am
Thanks Mstrcrftr

I did not know abaut that product, I had check in ebay and looks good. When I have some spare time I´l find out more about it.
It looks special for plastic and this tipe of console is not plastic. I´d use a exposy bar and works good.
To repair plastic I´m using meted plastic from old plastic car parts with good results.
Thanks again for your coments.
SPAIN (EUROPE)
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2017 at 9:42am
I can't imagine how it could be successfully covered in leather or vinyl.

If the damage is limited to some small areas repair those areas with a putty of some sort as you have so far, scratch the "vinyl" patterns in that putty to replicate what is around it the best you can.
Do some tests on a similar piece, it could be a tupperware bowl from your kitchen or an old plastic radio case or something, just do some tests to get comfortable. 

Spray a material that makes a texture similar.  https://www.semproducts.com/product/texture-coating/coating

But do this stuff on something else and get comfortable with it. It may not make it exactly as it was but it will be close and a heck OF A LOT better than if it were covered in vinyl or leather.

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 10:58am
I´m confident with the finish in leather. I have done some work on the car with that tecnic with a good result. 
The first was the console which I have modified to fix a cuple of clocks in the place of the ashtray. the finish was no perfect but a lot better than it was before. After that i did the piece under the steering wheel, the steering wheel,... the last was the door panel which come out very nice close to perfect. 
The interior plastics attempt to look like leather finish, becouse of that when you cover one of then with real leather it doesn´t look out of place. The top door panel is original but the bottom part is leather.

when i finish the job I´ll place some photos.
The only problem I see with this tecnic is that it is extensive in work. 

SPAIN (EUROPE)
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 11:18am
I've made a pattern piece before with playdough. Mash a piece into an area with good pattern. Let the playdough dry. Then place it on what you want to transfer the pattern to.
PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2017 at 2:40am
Hi, 
I´ll try the palydought trick, It appears a good way to do it.
thanks for the advice.

SPAIN (EUROPE)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic