TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - help 66 classic rblt trans now driveline vibrates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

help 66 classic rblt trans now driveline vibrates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironbruuu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help 66 classic rblt trans now driveline vibrates
    Posted: Jul/26/2014 at 3:15pm
Hi folks
Just got my 3 speed auto transmission rebuilt on my 66 classic. Picked it up last night after work and while tranny shifts great there is now a vibration. It occurs when I stop in driv3 with th3 brake on. I can feel a v8bration right through the brakes and my drivers seat. I will be taking itback as it feels like the point were trans meets Torque tube. Is there any special tecnique to lining up the TT ? Thoughts? Thanks in advance
Cheers
James
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2014 at 4:20pm
It only occurs when you brake? Sounds like you need a ujoint or the brakes are causing the vibe.
Ironbruuu View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironbruuu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2014 at 4:30pm
It only hapoens when stopped, in drive = bad vibration , take it out of gear vibration stops. Brakes redone. Drove like a charm except leaky tranny. The only change to driveline is the tranny install. Hope that clarifies ir better :)
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2014 at 5:09pm
Did they replace the gasket between the torque tube and the tranny?
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2014 at 5:16pm
Cracked flexplate?
Ironbruuu View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironbruuu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2014 at 5:17pm
I dont see it on the bill . They are closed today but a very reputable shop here in town. Who would have the gaskets if you have source?
cheers
J
Ironbruuu View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironbruuu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2014 at 11:16pm
Took the cross country for a long drive and amazing how much the pre-rebuilt tranny slipped etc. Looking under the car while it was doing its shaking. The shaking was most heavy from what my hand could tell at the transmission mounts. It looked like the whole tranny was shaking. Another symptom is driving  at idle speed turning made the vibration worse. Needless to say off to the shop on Monday. So close  :(
oh well good excuse to check the tune of the car. 

rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2014 at 2:00am
It's possible the process of removing and then reinstalling the tranny finally broke the maybe 48 year old tranny mounts. The shop will be able to see once it's up in the air. I don't know who carries those tranny mounts but I'm sure some other forum member does.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2014 at 9:19am
The 63-66 torque tube cars have rubber mounts on the trans crossmember as well as the trans mount. The crossmember mounts are probably shot. Galvin's has them (www.ramblerparts.com). Since the vibration is only when the car is in gear and the brakes are on it is not inside the torque tube, and can't be the u-joint. The u-joint would cause a vibration while moving, maybe a "clunk" when going in gear from park or neutral with the brakes held. Check the motor mounts also. The TT pushes the car through the motor and crossmember mounts, and the little arms on the crossmember.

The trans slipping is another issue. There is a "kick-down" cable on the 65-66 model Classic. This is actually a Throttle Valve (TV) cable that controls internal pressure, not just a kick-down cable (it does serve that function also -- the TV will kick the trans down if bottomed out under about 60 mph). If the cable isn't connected or is frozen you won't get passing gear of course, but the trans won't build up enough pressure to hold the clutches and bands when power is applied, so it will slip shortly after taking off.

All auto trannys are made with some kind of pressure governing system -- vacuum, cable, or with a computer controlled electric stepper motor on more modern autos. This is so the trans will take off smoothly (clutches/bands slip a little on take-off) but hold firmly at speed. It mimics letting a manual clutch out slowly -- it slips a little as you let it out, then grabs at the end of travel, providing a smooth take-off. If not for this it would be like "dumping" the clutch on take-off.
Frank Swygert
Ironbruuu View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironbruuu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2014 at 2:03pm
Hi Frank
Thanks for the help. I agree with your thoughts that it is one of the mounts on the transmission. I took it for another long run today, kick down gear is there, smooth shifting, and it even was vibrating a lot less than before but when i parked her, back to vibration. Any tips on what to look for on the broken mount. Off to have a look and see if I can see anything obvious
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic