TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

HEI or Motorcraft Electronic distributor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HEI or Motorcraft Electronic distributor
    Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 11:14am
Dilemma...Have an original Motorcraft electronic distributor that I would like to use, but I also have an after-market single wire HEI distributor that I can use.  I like the simpleness of the HEI but it is so big and bulky, where as the original Motorcraft distributor looks and fits just perfect.  I know I would have to install the associated electronics with it (going in a 68 Javelin).  I have all the wiring for the Motorcraft, but unfortunately I do not know the wiring setup to install, and a couple of wire have been eaten by pack rats.

So, I guess my question is...how good are the Motorcraft distributors or should I just go for function over looks and use the single wire HEI and just change the gear from the original Motorcraft?

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 11:19am
There are a few who run the Motorcraft distributor. They are about the same, but... then you would be bulking it up by adding a HEI style cap. It requires a few add ons but once done you have pretty much a HEI system.

That can be done at a later time, for performance use.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 12:44pm
These are the kind of questions that I can never answer so I just go with an MSD unit. This is especially the case with the V8 seeing how there's really no better alternatives for these engines.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 7:11pm
If I had the choice I would run the HEI style.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 10:16pm
Have run both and currently have the MSD6 with the Motorcraft. My opinion is this combo works better then the HEI only by the variety of mechanical advance spring and curve options to suit your specific needs. The MSD box does all the work when you change the mechanical end of the distributor. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2017 at 11:31am
It's really just whichever you prefer. The HEI is bulky with the coil in the cap. The Duraspark with the TFI upgrade uses a large diameter cap, but no coil in cap makes it less bulky than the HEI. Both work well, even for performance use. The Duraspark ignition module isn't very reliable though, or I should say the aftermarket replacements currently available aren't. Ford hasn't used it since the 80s, and they quickly stopped making replacements, letting the aftermarket take over. Many use the GM HEI module with the Duraspark system, hiding it inside a Duraspark module housing (http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/ignition-articles/492810-tricky-trick-hei-module-inside-duraspark-case.html). That article shows rudimentary wiring also. You don't have to use the TFI upgrade with the larger cap and higher energy coil if you want to keep it stock looking. I'd use the GM module anyway.
Frank Swygert
Jay68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2017 at 3:28pm
Bit the bullet and decided to go the easy way, going with the HEI. I did changed the dizzy gear. I installed the original one from the
motor craft distributor. I did have to work the shaft a little, .005 larger, some emory cloth and a file solved the problem.
texasamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texasamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2017 at 8:12pm
I think you made the right decision.  it's simple and  lots of spark. 
texasamx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic