TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

HEI Distributor on a 232

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gladiator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HEI Distributor on a 232
    Posted: Oct/04/2014 at 9:06pm
Finally got the 69 Gladiator on the road and all appears ok. I would like to install a HEI Distributor. Skip White Performance has a unit that does not require dist gear change out. Has anyone used their products? Heres the link:http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=6511-CL. As always input would be appreciated.
theron View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2014 at 7:24am
       Buy a 1978 chevy nova I6distributor, and a gear for a 360 amc from rock auto, it was under a seventy five bucks bucks last time I checked.
theron View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2014 at 7:29am
       I just looked at site.   That's probably cheaper then my way.   no experience with the company. that's the one with a built in coil. Mine has two wires, a larger cap, and uses an external coil.
69gladiator View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gladiator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2014 at 4:54pm
A 360 dizzy gear? I am going call White to confirm the gear is the proper one before I do anything.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gladiator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2014 at 5:08pm
Just checked Rock Auto out for the Nova Dist. and the 360 gear. The White Performance Distributor prices out a lot cheaper.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gladiator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2014 at 8:31pm
called skip white today.  They said the I6 dist fits the 232, 258 and 4.0 they recommend replacing the cam gear, which is something that I really dont want to do. Although, they don't endorse it, they said some customers simply reuse the old dist. gear to avoid meshing issues between new and old gears. I've heard numerous theories regarding this gear issue. Is there a consensus out there?
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2014 at 9:49pm
Unfortunately you can't - it's an integral part of the camshaft.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gladiator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2014 at 5:56am
I am refering to the distributor gear at the end of the dist. shaft. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2014 at 7:05am
There have never been any distributor gear meshing issues on the AMC sixes. The V-8s DO have an issue, but that distributor resides in the timing cover. Aftermarket replacement timing covers are part of the problem. There is no alignment issues in the six because the dizzy fits directly in the block. The only possible issue is that sometimes the dizzy body isn't tight against the block. Don't force it down with the clamp as that will bind the oil pump and cause problems. If you have a space between the block and dizzy base use a large washer as a spacer. I've never heard of anyone needing more than one, but use a couple if necessary. As long as the oil pump is engaged a bit larger gap isn't an issue.

Frank Swygert
amx2bfast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx2bfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2014 at 8:07am
I have used a couple of the hei units from skip white as well as some other products and have had no issues yet. Should be able to drop and go. get plug wires from a late 70's chevy truck I6
1975 gremlin
1973 javelin
1976 pacer wagon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic