TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Heater Valve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2019 at 11:43pm
It fits, it works. Importantly, it throttles temperature (water flow) nicely at low flows. That other plastic Four Seasons valve I was using was sort of all or nothing. Bolted with the original screws, hoses fit fine. Win, win.

The control wire sheath clamp: small rectangle of 1/8" steel with a hole, easy enough. To help grip the slippery nylon, I made a dozen nicks with a small cold chisel. Seems fine. Crooked here.

Thanks Scot for the part reference!

Edited by tomj - Dec/30/2019 at 11:47pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2019 at 9:57am
What was the brand of the originals, something like Rankin or Ranco?

The valve from my 64 was leaking and I replaced it with one from a 66. There was just one problem, the cable operation is opposite. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2019 at 10:46pm
Ranco, I think.

ANother possible source is Volvo. 122's used them. I think IPD sells one. Same valve.

Yes, some are opposite rotation. The one I got, part number in Scott's post, is exactly correct for 1968 American, correct rotation.

1963 Classics, at least, used a similar Ranco valve with a thermostatic element. Those are I think non-existent today. YMMV.

ambassador401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ambassador401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2020 at 5:06am
This is the correct type for 68, I was lucky to find a nos one

68 American
68 Rebel
70 Javelin
71 Ambassador
73 Gremlin
A bunch of Jeeps
fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2020 at 7:48pm
now i need to get the hoses and i think my cable is newer and two long  i had to look on the fire wall to find the holes but found them under black cork tape  so now i think it should be pretty easy.  is there a clamp that keeps the hose to the valve cover 

mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2020 at 4:07pm
Ambassador 401 is correct that is the correct factory water valve. However they are scarce as hen's teeth and tend to be expensive if you do find one. The valve pictures from summit, ie the 90 degree valve versus the 180 degree summit one work very well. Plus you can find those on line off amazon or eBay for a much lower price. Turns out they were used on Dodge Ram pickup up until some like 2000 so they are much more available then the original that not been used 30 or 40 years. I have a six cylinder 69 Javelin that uses that valve myself. So been there , done that.
LRDaum  
LRDaum
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2020 at 10:42pm
I wonder how long NOS will last; there's a rubber or hopefully silicone seal in there. I personally dont buy NOS soft parts, total waste of time.

ambassador401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambassador401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2020 at 3:37am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

I wonder how long NOS will last; there's a rubber or hopefully silicone seal in there. I personally dont buy NOS soft parts, total waste of time.

Remains to be seen, at least worked fine for last summer. And the seals can be changed, not easy but can be done. My original was rusted beyond repair. But yeah, with some parts nos is not the best choice
68 American
68 Rebel
70 Javelin
71 Ambassador
73 Gremlin
A bunch of Jeeps
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2020 at 8:32am
My 69 with a V8 came with the 180 degree valve, not connected, from what I could tell - ever, until I put it on the road 11 years ago. It still works fine - knock on wood!
fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2020 at 6:48am
Got the summit one looks great went to the local NAPA and we went threw all the hoses and found a couple nice one and will post pictures tonight I hoping to get it all ready for cars and coffee in the morning
thanks for all the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic