TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

heater control valve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dafox99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heater control valve
    Posted: Oct/28/2017 at 2:49pm
Gang .. I may be in the wrong section, but wasn't sure where else to post.  My temp control works backwards.  Up is hot, down is cold.  I pulled the heater control valve, and it's the complex one with coils and sensors (no electrical) that is supposed to control the valve when not in pure hot or cold.  The shop manual says that is correct.  However, when I go to various parts places, they seem to show just the simple valve that is controlled only with the cable.

Any thoughts on where to find the correct valve?  
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2017 at 7:21am
The cable could be on backwards... but not likely as I don't think it is long enough. Sounds like someone put an aftermarket valve in when the original Ranco thermostatic valve failed. Personally I wouldn't try to use one of the Rancos unless you're going for a 100% resto and nothing else will do. The Rancos are old and don't work well after 40+ years of service. You can get a kit to replace the rubber seal, but that doesn't help operation much. Works great full on or full off though.

There are several in-line valves that can be used. I use one from a Chrysler, but can't say what model -- got it a long time ago. The local NAPA still had a book with photos of various valves, so I was able to get one that fit the heater hose side and had the arm on the correct side. If you could reverse the arm on yours (not likely, they are usually riveted on) you'd be set. One way to reverse it is to make another arm that will clamp to the original but extend over to the other side. If you can anchor the cable (I've seen them zip tied to the hose) that will work.
Frank Swygert
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2017 at 8:46am
Frank, you're absolutely correct.  When the original Ranco valve on my '64 Classic started leaking I replaced it with another type AMC valve and the control worked backwards.  As long as I knew which was "on" and which was "off" I didn't much care. 
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 5:28am
There are two heater valves for the big body cars that look alike but work opposite. The early cars 67 to 71? that have the vertical HVAC controls to the left of the steering wheel use the valve where all the way up is off. The later cars with the horizontal HVAC controls to the right of the steering wheel have the valve that works opposite.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 5:40am
FYI, "george w" just lived this issue on his 67 Ambassador, you will never know when buying a car that is not running or don't drive much........no way to tell from just looking at the valve when installed!!   DON'T toss the "wrong" one, it is likely these will NEVER be reproduced, and most leaking ones can be repaired...so hang on to it and help a brother AMC'r out in the future. 
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 8:54am
Ranco valves are a curse.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2019 at 7:33am
Wall,they are 50+ years later! Probably great when new...
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2019 at 12:48am
lol, Ranco is a curse.

i too went through all this...

here's two possibilities:

Volvo 122's used the exact same valve and you can buy valves and/or rebuild kits (woah) for them from IPD, the Volvo aftermarket supplier. i don't know if they have the right rotation.

oh hey it paid to save notes from the past!  "NAPA 660-1000. Ranco repair kit, fits Volvo 74-92" not that i would attempt this today even if the kit is still available.

a certain fix is to use a generic replacement valve. they don't have the thermostatic element the early 60's had (but 68 american, at least, does not have). i say certain because it is designed so that you can flip it over and move the cable-housing clamp so that it's push-on, or push-off. it does not have the filrewall bracket, but on my 68 american i chopped the horrible Ranco crap off the bracket, drilled holes in the bracket to meet the extra holes on the Four Seasons valve. it looks correct and works so close to original you won't care.

NAPA 660-1141. 5/8" in and out, cable PULL=open. currently some four Seasons part in 68-01
table { }tr { }col { }br { }td { padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: black; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }.xl68 { font-size: 16pt; font-family: Bitstream; text-align: left; whi

Edited by tomj - Sep/14/2019 at 12:51am
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2019 at 7:40am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Wall,they are 50+ years later! Probably great when new...
Why I call curse. I've had 2 cars that use the same valve. Stumbled across what used to be an old mom and pop Rambler/AMC dealer. All their inventory was still on file cards in a metal rackLOL. I'm put together several part numbers to see if I got lucky.  Brand new valve on the shelf. Grabbed it. Valve in my car started weeping. Thinking no problem, tossed in the new piece. Ok for a day then spring a leak.  So much for new 50 year old seals. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2019 at 9:37pm
for what it's worth, this is the Four Seasons hack job on the old Ranco bracket.

the black control cable has blended into the black hardness. the cable bracket on top (two shiny screws) has four holes to flip it to either side. on the bottom, the same. two used to bolt to the bracket (drilled).

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic