TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

HEATER COIL LEAKS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HEATER COIL LEAKS
    Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 12:04pm
In my "68 AMX the heater coil behind the Dash has a leak and I'm wondering if it is possible to prevent this with out removing it from the car. The process of replacing it would require removing the Dash Board near the Glove Box, which I believe could damage the dash creating an even worse situation. I'm thinking there might be a solution other then with less cause for concern. Although not as efficient as a working original heater coil, would it be possible to by pass the coil somehow, or run a smaller diameter tube or hose through the existing copper coil of the heater? Has anyone found a solution for fixing the heater box that leaks with out tearing the dash apart? I no longer open the heater valve on the block to the heater and I disconnected the Dash Controls to the valve. Fortunately I have no damage, or stains from the leak, I caught it immediately when it occurred and have lived with out heat for a couple years now.
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 1:15pm
You can certainly bypass the heater core, which you have essentially done already. I doubt that you can get any worthwhile heat out of a simple copper pipe through the leaking core or any other fix that does not remove the core. It is actually not that difficult, particularly in a 68. Be glad that you don't own a 70!

I would suggest that this topic might be better placed in the Body/Interior MB, since it has nothing to do with the engine. 

Chris 
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 3:06pm
Do you have factory A/C?  IF not, it is relatively easy to remove the heater box with core without removing the dash on a 68 Javelin/AMX.  Take the heater hoses off the heater core and remove the blower motor assembly from the front side of firewall.  There are only two cables to the heater box assembly, remove the clips that hold the cable housings to the box and clips that hold the inner cables to the doors (defrost and heat).  There is one #3 phillips screw the holds the far right of the box to the side of the passenger compartment structure above the dash attachment bolt, open the glove box door to make all this easier or remove it.  The there are 5 #2 phillips screws around the outer perimeter of the box, hardest one to reach is the far left and far right top, but they are doable.  Once these screws are out, the box comes right out.  I find it most helpful to remove the passenger seat to give better room as I get older!!   Reverse the order to go back together, you just need to "rig" the cables to the proper positions to put the cable casing clips back on, for me that is the hardest part.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Doug in New Freedom View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 10:01pm
Thanks very much 401 MATCOUPE for the detailed info.
No A/C to worry about. 

I'll look for a replacement Heater Core and give this a try when the weather warms up. Your detailed directions are great and I've printed them out. I've had the seats out before to replace the padding, which was easy to do. Worth a try. 

Hope the weather this coming year eventually gets us to Cecil in 2019. See you there hopefully.

Doug
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2019 at 2:13pm
Going to remove my heater box on my 69 Rambler (American) to install a heater box gasket kit and place a new firewall pad underneath.  Obviously, I will check the heater core as well.

Would this be the same procedure as Ross explains above?  No A/C car.

No way I want to remove the dash for this procedure.  But front seat is definitely coming out (no pretzel body anymore).  Wacko

Thanks.

Matt

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Jan/04/2019 at 2:16pm
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Doug in New Freedom View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2019 at 3:34pm
Matt,
 I'm not sure if it is your Rambler has the same set up as the '68 AMX I have. I haven't started to do mine yet, waiting for warmer weather and a source for a replacement CORE. Probably will work on it early spring and I see Cores listed on line at Kennedy and AMERICAN Parts DEPOT selling FOR AROUND $ 120.

Doug
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2019 at 5:44pm
I have heard the bracket on the heater cores available from the vendors was not correct and needs modifications in order to fit...
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2019 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Going to remove my heater box on my 69 Rambler (American) to install a heater box gasket kit and place a new firewall pad underneath.  Obviously, I will check the heater core as well.

Would this be the same procedure as Ross explains above?  No A/C car.

No way I want to remove the dash for this procedure.  But front seat is definitely coming out (no pretzel body anymore).  Wacko

Thanks.

Matt

Matt,
The same procedure......but i only remember 2 screws holding the heater box in. 
Yes it is easier to remove the glove box. About a 10 minute job.

I couldn't find a heater core so my radiator man built one. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2019 at 8:04pm
Thanks everyone for the replies.  

Ollie, that sounds great.  I saw the two screws against the firewall this morning.  Was hoping there were no more hidden up top and hard to get to.  That would be no bueno Thumbs Down.  

Ordered a heater box gasket/seal replacement kit while I'm at it from Detroit Muscle Technologies as others on the Forum have raved about their products and service.  Like giving the good ones my business.

LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 9:08am
Like Ross said, these are easy to do in the car. I would also remove the glove box as it's only two bolts/nuts and gives you more access.
It's possible the original core can be repaired but it depends on where the leak is. But, if it's been out of commission for a few years it may not be worth the risk as without coolant in it the damage tends to grow/advance. The original cores are date coded so before you scrap it, you might offer it up here in the unlikely case someone is looking. You can also have the plates transferred to a new core if you want to keep the PN and date code
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic