TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Headliner Info?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headliner Info?
    Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 5:28am
This is one of the last parts on the Rambler that I haven't developed a battle plan for.  I need some info.  As some of you know, the Rambler is Rampart Red with a white roof.   The Interior fiberglass headliner looks to be some sort of silver color; kind of a bad mix of Nomex fireproof cloth and the platinum "white" in the interior of some of the later AMCs.

First, I would think it would have been red or white, but I assume this is natural / proper color?

Second, it has what looks to be rust & water stains all over.  Passenger's side mainly, but all over.  Has anybody had any luck cleaning up similar issues?  I was thinking of trying CLR at first, but figured I'd ask.  No doubt there's not much chance of finding a SEM paint to recolor it otherwise.

Lastly, the vinyl "headliner" pieces that go against the rear pillars are peeling up.  They look otherwise intact.  Anybody had any luck fixing that with some sort of adhesive and getting good results?
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 8:06am
if your not looking for factory look you could always cover the parts with new vinyl or fabric
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 11:05am
Any good upholstery cement should work to re-glue the c-pillar inserts on the rear of the interior.  i have reglued mine on two 64 classics.  I think I used one of the 3M spray on products.  Check the paint chip chart for your Classic at www.autocolorlibrary.com and see if it offers any clues to internal paint colors which might help you decide about your headliner color.  In the past, I have used acrylic enamel paint to recolor door panels to a matching color for my interior.  Unless you use a "flattener" for the paint it will have more gloss than the typical SEM interior paints.  Be sure to use an adhesive promotor if you plan to repaint/recolor the headliner with any type of paint.  The full catalog of SEM prepackage spray paints is available online.  Use a google search to find it.  You might find something close the what AMC used.  There are lots of shades of grey as I recall.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 7:52pm
Mixed Up:  I'm not worried about keeping it perfectly factory.  The engine already has aftermarket "performance" parts on it (radiator, high output single wire alternator, pertronix module and coil), and a Vintage Air A/C retrofit system.  NOT giving up my AC either, LOL.  I'd like to keep it as close to factory as is practical on a limited budget though; respect the spirit and heritage of the car.

For example, I got a replacement inspection cover for the auto trans bell housing.  Got a decent price at Galvin's but it was rusty when I got it, so I cleaned it up and painted it so it would last even though that's not concours.  It'll protect it from water off the road and further rust though.

Pacerman: Good to know the 3M spray glue works there.  That's what I wanted to try but wanted some feedback as it if it'd leak / eat thru the vinyl or other possible issues.

AutoColorLibrary isn't much help as they only give the front side of the Ditzler paint chip sheet when you key in info.  I went down and got mine from the back of the TSM binder (where I'd stashed it) though.  Best guess, the headliner is Sceptre Silver(?):

Here's what I mean about the condition of the headliner though, and a shot for color comparison.

Think I need a windshield gasket replacement and re-seal?  LOL

rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 4:33am
I never did get an answer on the main headliner piece here.  Has anybody had any luck cleaning up that sort of discoloration, and if so, how?

gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 6:24am
My wagon had water damage including mouse chew through. Adding double trouble was there are 2 pieces.
After removal and a complete wash down I finished with a commercial urine neutralizer.
Repaired holes with lite fiberglass.

I went to SMS fabrics and had 6 yards of matching fabric produced. Sent them samples and 4 months later they "printed" the pattern very close to origional. Only needed 3 yards but now have reserve for The future

My upholstry buddy laid them out and covered the ribbed pattern with a very thin and high dense foam that transferred the ribbing perfectly. It looks amazing by the way. Not sure of his adhesive but it was a commercial glue that has high grip that is for headliners. We rasseled with this procedure to insure success. He applied with a spray from a glue pot not the available aerosol based products. The new fabric is thin so real concern on the glue bleeding thru. So he had different glue application for the foam to liner than the fabric to the foam.

Yours looks like a poor windshield installation. The TSM specifies a sealant at the leading upper edge of the pinch welds. I have wondered why but now it makes sense when at highway speeds the water is being forced thru.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 9:55am
If I was trying for a low cost solution to your headliner, I would try to spray on adhesion promoter like Bulldog brand and follow that up with several very light coats of spray paint in a suitable color.  Ron's (gtoman's) option is the best, but his is a show car.   Because nothing will be abrading or even touching the headliner in normal use, I would not necessarily use SEM type vinyl dye, but if you can find a suitable pre-packaged shade of SEM that suits you, that would be good too.   I do have a complete station wagon headliner and separator band from a 62 Classic wagon here at home if you think it would help you.  The body shape changed significantly between 62 and 63 though, that the older headliner would not fit.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 12:36pm
In addition the only way that liner can be removed is through the windshield /rear window opening. It can't be bent or the fiber breaks off in chunks.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 5:48am
Thanks for the advice guys.

GTO, bad installation depends on your definition, LOL.  More like bad repair.  It's the original gasket on the front window and it's dry rotted all to heck.  The attempts to "fix" that by previous owners have consisted of trying to spot patch with adhesive without replacing the gasket.

All they probably accomplished was making it exponentially harder for me to get the window trim  out in one piece.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic