TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Headlights On - No Front Turn Signals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headlights On - No Front Turn Signals
    Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 3:56am
All turn signals work correctly with headlights off. Rear turn signals work with headlights on. Front turn signals don't work with headlights on. Recently rewired the car. What did I do???
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 5:59am
Need more info. Did you replace the entire wiring harness ? if so with what ?
Just off the cuff, check your headlight grounds. Follow the double black wire from the right headlight back to where it attaches to other grounds on the right side of the body.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 1:04pm
If we were talking tail lights I'd suggest the bulbs were bad. When one side of a two sided bulb is bad the other burns. But when both are required - such as a signal light - that job can't be done. Turn the lights off and te signal can now work. The same might be happening to your front signal lights.

So, have you tried a new bulb to see if it works? (I am assuming your signal lights burn when the lights are on as has been common for decades.)
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 1:11pm
I rewired the entire car. Rebuilt the headlight and park lamp plugs up front with new wire and terminals inside. Headlight grounds are all good. Park lamp/turn signals are grounded through the plug. With headlights on and turn signal on, I ran a wire from the battery neg to the sockets for positive ground and no change.

I did notice when you look very closely that the filament for the turn signals lights and blinks very dimly.   It's not enough to notice through the lenses.

Honestly, they're old bulbs, but the turn and park lamp filaments both work so I didn't suspect them. I'll try replacing them anyway.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 2:07pm
Got new bulbs, no joy. My local guru says the headlights are pulling voltage from the turn signals. Makes sense since they're trying to light very dimly. It's all new wiring, so I need to figure out what's going on. Maybe through the switch in the column. Hopefully if I run the high and low beam circuits through relays, it'll help.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 3:01pm
Try reversing the positive lead for the running lamp and turn signal. You may be powering the wrong filament for each. I believe there are just 2 positive power leads to the light, and ground is made through the housing.

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Apr/09/2015 at 3:04pm
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 6:35pm
Where the grounds screw to did you just paint there before the ground went back on?
You can try a jumper wire from the ground screw back to the batt for testing.
It sounds like a ground issue to me.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 6:39pm
Tufcj is correct. The front turn signal / parking lights are grounded through the housing into the bumper and through the bumper brackets into the body. Check to see if you have continuity between the bumper and the body or better yet, from the bumper to the battery negative terminal. Keep in mind too that the battery negative goes to the block and the body ground goes from the engine block to the cross member with that heavy black engine to body ground wire.

The symptoms you're experiencing are classic grounding issue symptoms. Before rewiring for relays you should try your best to double check your wiring work. The turn signals, stop lamps and emergency flasher circuits are all inter related and the most complex wiring in the car.
The headlight circuit is independent of all the others and is fed directly from the headlight switch to the dimmer switch and then out to the lamps. I doubt that the headlight circuit is the issue as long as you can confirm the headlight and body grounds are good and solid. The turn signals and parking lamp circuits, while they share the bulbs themselves, are totally independent other than the shared ground. The turn signal and stop circuits ( the brighter bulb filament )all pass through the turn signal/ emergency flasher switch. Following tufcj's advice you may want to check the front turn signal wiring back to the turn signal switch. When doing any tests make sure the emergency flasher switch is pulled out ( off position ).

Good luck with your troubleshooting, this could be a tough one !
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 7:55pm
George is on the right track. Grounds are always the thing people forget when they're working on electrical. If they're not good, they'll give you a huge headache. I just finished helping a friend with his diesel Ram that would lose the pedal sensor. I started him off by checking grounds and he found plenty of problems. In the end it was a shorted 5v sensor power wire but several other little things that the truck had, are all gone now. It took him 2 weeks to fix it but he's super happy with the outcome.  Take your time and be patient and you'll find it.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2015 at 8:51am
Have you replaced the switch? There is a difference between years. From the factory in 68 and prior, the parking lights remained on when the headlights were on. Rule changes in 69 had the parking lights turn off when the headlights were on. There could be a compatibility problem between the wiring and switch used.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic