TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

headlight switch connector

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: headlight switch connector
    Posted: Sep/04/2016 at 3:21pm
hi, nearing the end of my 84 Eagle restification. had the dash out in order to clean, lube, add tach and intermittent wipers, and to "unhack" po's lousy radio wiring. Noticed headlight switch connector was warped/partially melted. (still works ok, though) Went out Eagle #1, parts car, same thing, never noticed it, went out to shed where i have old harness pieces, same thing. 
Question: Is that connector still available somewhere? i did look, no dice.
I know the switch is available, (Standard DS220), but can a new connector plug be had?
thank you, gz
george z
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2016 at 8:03pm
I do not own an Eagle, sooo, this may not be the best answer, but, verify if anyone is making a replacement wire harness for your car. Metro makes wire harnesses for almost everything, but they only sell wholesale to parts distributors and you can not contact them directly. ( ie wire harness for Javelin which is sold through the AMC vendors. 
Now, if you do have a supplier making a complete harness, discuss with them the possibility of contact with the wire harness builder to see if your part is available separately or as part of a sub-wire-harness assembly. 
( I did this a few times while building customers cars and needed specific wire harness parts and not a complete harness. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't but it's worth the effort.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 9:31am
The headlight connector is SUPER easy to find. Its also a GM part. Cruise the local junkyard and find one or another amc car.

MORE importantly though is tracking down the reason why the connector was melted in the first place. There is a LOT of resistance somewhere in your harness which means corrosion... Check the wire that caused the melting carefully. A lot of older Javelin and AMX harnesses have cooked headlight wires. A common manufactures practice at the time prior to cheap relays was running the power for the lights THRU the switch. So there can be some amperage draw thru the switch which gets everything warm. Some of the headlight wires on those old Javelins and AMX's I was talking about have wires that look good from the outside, but when you strip back the insulation the copper core is burnt.

amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 9:46am
thank you for your replies. I have been looking, and the closest I can come to this connector is Standard #S-720, or Airtex 1p1190, real close , but imo not right.
I believe the problem is just age, and yes, the full voltage going through the switch for 30+ years. I have resolved that, since I put one of Daniel Sterns relay style headlamp harnesses in. I would like to replace the connector just for piece of mind, and, I have a couple other AMCs that might need it, don't
 really want a used one from a salvage yard. probably not much better than what i have now.
A part #/source would be greatly appreciated, btw, it's not on APDs website.
thank you, gz
george z
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 12:41pm
hi, believe I've found the switch/connector sold as an assembly #AIR1S1435, not cheap, about $60., but good insurance for those who have 79+ AMCs, through Amazon. not sure about earlier years. thanks, gz
george z
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic