TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

headlight replacement/upgrade & other bulbs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: headlight replacement/upgrade & other bulbs
    Posted: May/28/2016 at 11:28pm
As I put the front end back together on my 64 wagon should I go ahead and replace the head lamps and other bulbs. I think the ones I have still work, but of course they are who knows how old. Is there a difference between old sealed beam headlights and newer ones? Would the same apply for other bulbs as well.
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 1:11am
Old sealed beams were Tungsten, the new sealed beams are Halogen and then there are H-1, LED and HID conversions. Simpler to say all newer headlights would be brighter than the originals. The newer small bulbs usually have a higher candlepower rating too, if I'm not mistaken. Do a search on this forum for LED lights. It might be illuminating. (pun intended    )
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 9:43am
I put Hella Vision Plus headlights in my AMX. They're a drop in replacement for the old sealed beams and have replaceable H4 bulbs, so you can go with any modern bulb and brightness you want. They run a little over $40 each with a 50/55 watt bulb. if you go to a higher wattage bulb, make sure the old wiring is up to it. In the dash, I tried inverted LEDs, they worked well but I didn't like the color, so I went back to standard bulbs.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2016 at 5:36pm
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am wondering if anyone has installed a headlight relay kit to improve the lights? My 68 AMX headlights suck and they are labeled on the light as a GE Halogen. I don't think these bulbs are very good, so i will replace them with H4 lights.
DWR
1968 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic