TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Headers...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headers...
    Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 4:38pm

Ok Gurus... Need some advice here. Looking to purchase a new set of headers for my build. Been reading about fitment issues. Ground clearance issues.. leaking issues.. But I know that's what you get when you run a set of long tubes.
But...?
Is this with all of them? Read that Hookers will be needed to be grinded to fit. What about Hedmans? Has anyone had any experience with them on fitment?
Not looking for stainless. Read that those are kind of crappy.
Just a good old set of steel headers is what I am looking for. Not interested in coatings those are expensive but I may have them high temp powder coated. Did that with a set for my Chevy LUV trucks and those have held up very well.
1 5/8" tubes or 1 7/8"? I imagine that the larger would scavenge better then the smaller tubes.
Input would greatly be appreciated.
William
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 5:00pm
What are you working on?
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 5:06pm
What car? Large body headers do not fit small body.

Hedmans are a good deal cheap header, but they fit the port very poorly. The pn 98310 is 1 5/8" universal AMC fit and hangs pretty low. Due to the very poor port fit be prepared for rework if you want it to perform correctly, and sealing problems. But they are still a decent deal for cheap headers. In a small body car the stock starter is extremely difficult to install.

In small body cars I always run the Hooker SC 7105. Been through many sets in different combo's and have about a 75% really decent fit to the port. And 25% were terrible. And yes I don't understand. These are a 1 3/4" small body car header that have a little better ground clearance than the hedman's, and a separate #8 primary to make installing the starter easier. They will also fit the large body car if you cut a chunk out of the right engine mount bracket. If you run a 727 the header is almost touching the tranny pan flange, but that's OK. on the dyno they will make noticeably more power than a smaller header in most combo's, and up to about 550 hp I prefer them to the 1 7/8" - cause they fit. A lot more expensive than the hedman.

The 1 7/8 hooker is a large body car header and does not fit small. With the bigger 3 1/2 collector they hang quite low. In a 600 hp 401 they are worth about 15 hp over the 1 3/4".

A proper seal is in the gasket. After years of this I have no leaks. I will never use those cheap white gaskets.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 5:11pm
Had a billion leaking problems with Hedmans till the flange was cut like this. o||oo||o

Toilet paper would seal it then.
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 6:45pm
I have the Hooker SC7105's on my 74 Gremlin with a 401....cut the flange....no leaks using MR Gasket Ultra Seal gaskets.....Hedmans will also work..... 
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 6:59pm
Sorry... Gremlin 73. 360 BW T-10
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 7:02pm
When you say cut the flange.???
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 7:17pm
Cut the long flange that goes between the outer and center ports.   I cut mine back to near the bolt holes for the inner and outer mounting points.   It will give you more clearance for a spark plug socket, and it keeps the whole thing from expanding and contracting every time it runs and killing the gasket.    I still have Hedman white crap on mine with no leaks.  

Orchuck View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orchuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 7:30pm
I have been thinking about Doug's for my 69 Jav. Any comments?
1969 Javelin SST, BBO, 390, Air, Auto PS/PB, Tilt, GoPac
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Orchuck Orchuck wrote:

I have been thinking about Doug's for my 69 Jav. Any comments?

As far as long tube headers go, I've used Hedman, Hooker and Dougs headers on my various AMC's through the years since the 70's and in my opinion the Dougs headers have the best over all quality and fit. They have 3/8" thick flanges so there is no need to cut the flange between the ports to make them seal as long as you use a good gasket. I'm not talking about those thick puffy aluminum bandaids, but something like Rol, SMI, or Edelbrock header gaskets which are all graphite coated and have a wire mesh core for excellent durability.

On my 70 AMX (416, 5 speed) I found that the Dougs headers listed for the automatic trans. AMX and Javelin will give you better ground clearance than the ones they make for a stick shift car and they fit just fine!

Dennis       
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic