TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Headers in the ami AMXs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headers in the ami AMXs
    Posted: Jan/16/2016 at 3:48pm
Hi you guys over the ditch. It's been a while since playing on the MADMAX and now have just received a hole bunch of engine parts from summit racing to build up a 390 with a pro charger and have been looking at the engine room and noticed not much room for headers on the steering side . Just wondering if anyone has come across this in the 69 AMI AMXs before. And do I have to make up a set . Any thoughts on this would be great thanks
Doug
Mad max # 15
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2016 at 10:20pm
If you use US brought Hooker or Hedman 1 5/8" headers, you just need to cut the front pipe on the drivers side and re-route it slightly. Not a big job, best to buy uncoated, do the mods and have them coated.

You will also have to do something with the transmission dipstick tube if you are running the factory BW auto.

Amx nz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 9:45am
Western Red ,Thanks for your pictures . Yes it is tight and I see the engine is off set by 25 ml or so that doesn't help as well. But like you said not a big deal ,I think I will stick the motor in from the bottom to make this job a bit easier,probably up and down a few times. Yes I came across this with the dip stick a few times on a few of the other AMXs , a cut and weld job as well . Thanks again
Doug
Mad max # 15
ozziamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozziamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2016 at 12:22am
wow that's not a lot of clearance is it. Ive just looked at mine with stock Manifolds and theres about 1/4" clearance. On the Hornet Ive moved my engine across 3/4" to give me the same clearance.

74 hornet hatch

69 AMX 3 of 24 AMI build

75 sportabout

81 Concord

all Right Hand Drive
Aus69Jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aus69Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 10:23pm
If you are considering modifying headers by adding a dent or two, this is interesting.

I am currently fitting Dougs 103.
Fit on the RH side is close, will need small modification.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic