TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

headers for 195.6 OHV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2019 at 12:40am
Originally posted by nickleone nickleone wrote:

Tom,

Nick

ooh, close enough to drive to! thanks! I think I might.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2019 at 12:43am
Originally posted by g-man g-man wrote:

Let me help you right there...DON'T DO IT!

oh, my plan wasn't to drive on them, only to use the stuff as a physical mock-up. yeah, it's too rough inside to be useful at small diameters. like a lot of engine compartments that side of the early Americans has got a lot of junk in the way, steering shaft, starter, etc. the point with the flex is that its cheap, bendable, an I could spot-tack it onto flanges and collectors and work out the exact shape an lengths to fabricate in real tubing, and reuse the flanges I'll have to make by hand.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 7:22am
My idea, once upon a time, was to buy a single left side V-8 header and modify it to fit. Bend the end tubes out a bit and shorten the center as necessary. Siamese the two center tubes (the bit of extra length would help!). Never did it. The stock exhaust manifold is pretty well shaped and was large enough for the power I was generating. you've done a lot more to your engine, probably around 200 hp (gross, off the crank), whereas I was topping out at 170-175. You've reached the point that a header might be good, but I don't know... The head pipe on a 196 is 1-7/8", and I ran that into a 2" pipe right after it turned under the floor.  Splitting into two pipes isn't going to help much. A true 2" at the collector might, 2.25-2.50" probably more. A single 2.25" or 2.50" pipe would probably be more than enough.
Frank Swygert
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 10:26am
Buick 3.8's have lots of header option, long and short, turbo and non, 1.5" with 2-1/4" collectors. May be a good starting point.
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 11:43am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

My idea, once upon a time, was to buy a single left side V-8 header and modify it to fit. Bend the end tubes out a bit and shorten the center as necessary. Siamese the two center tubes (the bit of extra length would help!). Never did it. The stock exhaust manifold is pretty well shaped and was large enough for the power I was generating. you've done a lot more to your engine, probably around 200 hp (gross, off the crank), whereas I was topping out at 170-175. You've reached the point that a header might be good, but I don't know... The head pipe on a 196 is 1-7/8", and I ran that into a 2" pipe right after it turned under the floor.  Splitting into two pipes isn't going to help much. A true 2" at the collector might, 2.25-2.50" probably more. A single 2.25" or 2.50" pipe would probably be more than enough.

maybe start with a Pontiac for the head side? or maybe a flathead ferd? and solder, LOTS of solder ;)

Edited by tomslik - Jan/08/2019 at 11:45am

67 american 290/4speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic