TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Head gaskets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head gaskets
    Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 11:20am
Been a long time since I built a motor. We used to use copper coat or silver paint on the head gaskets. My new ones are felpro. Side that goes up is blue and looks like some sort of gasket material. Block side looks like metal. Does it go together as is or does it need a coating somewhere?
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 11:31am
I spray copper on the metal side of the blue fel-pros. Not sure if you are 'supposed' to but I always do and haven't had any problems.
AMO Newsletter Editor
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 1:53pm
I hang them on a wire and spray Copper Coat on both sides, let it sit a bit then one more coat. Let it get tacky then install. Also never had an issue.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 2:00pm
Felpro gaskets will be marked which side goes up if it makes a difference or matters. Felpro also says that you should "NOT" use any sealer or spray of any kind on their "Permatorque" head gaskets.

A couple of years ago I had a "Felpro Permatorque" head gaskets fail (for no apparent reason) on my 401 stroker in my AMX. It was installed correctly (dry as Felpro tells you to do) but failed in only a few months of the engine being built. Replaced the Felpro gaskets with Rol graphite coated head gaskets and have not had any problems since. BTW, the Rol head gaskets also install dry.   
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 7:27pm
I too have had Felpro head gaskets fail on 2 different applications. I haven't used them in a number of years now. Their quality is not what it use to be because I used them since the 70's without ever an issue. I've been using Cometics and couldn't be happier - plus they're made here in Ohio! Thumbs Up

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 9:49pm
I used one of the FelPro 26211PT PermaTorque MLS dry fit gaskets on my L6. Dry wiped and ethered the head then the engine mating surface, screwed in alignment studs, inspected the gasket and dropped it into place then the head. Add head bolts, remove studs, torque down procedure for the win. I deviated a bit from the last part since I had doubts about the MLS gasket but it seemed to give it the best possible chance with steps of 20-40-60-80-100 then 110ft-lbs, leaving the front bolt at 100ft-lbs per spec.

I would probably do the exact same thing over if I were simply changing head gaskets but in the case of the V8, I've never encountered something so frustrating, embarassing and expensive in my entire life as that mess. The dry fit gaskets for these engines are JUNK! Avoid the Crown copies, FelPro and Cometic. I'm most likely going to use Edelbrock heads in my build so...Edelbrock gaskets. Anything else use the Victor Reinz gaskets or the SCE coppers if you can afford them. 9.3-11.6vol should work great. I would steer clear of any gaskets that compress any smaller than what I have on my L6, which is probably .041 if I remember right.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2017 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

I'm most likely going to use Edelbrock heads in my build so...Edelbrock gaskets.

Just so you know, Edelbrock head gaskets for the AMC V8 #7329 are Rol gaskets!

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2017 at 6:07pm
Yeah yeah I know. Already planning to get back into a revolving door of pain. I'm getting too old for this dance but I also enjoy yelling at the vendor when their batch is shoddy. Gives me a better excuse to move up to the coppers. Ermm
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2017 at 10:23am
An old school trick we use on flat head engines is to apply a very thin film of grease on both sides of head gaskets, as this keeps the gaskets from binding while torqueing the head nuts down on the head studs.
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2017 at 12:07pm
Be wary of copper head gaskets. While they seal well initially, copper head gaskets tend to leak coolant after a few heat cycles. Every engine builder I have talked to refuse to use a copper head gasket on anything other than a dedicated drag race car.

I have had excellent luck with Cometic head gaskets, the only downside is surface prep and cleanliness. Any dirt or surface irregularity will cause issues.
Some folks have sucessfully used copper coat to allow use of blocks and heads that haven't been properly surfaced smoothly enough for MLS gaskets. However, one is better off having their block and heads decked properly to begin with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic