TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Head bolt torque specs accuracy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish13jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head bolt torque specs accuracy
    Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 8:56am
well my Chilton calls for all to be torqued to 85ft lbs.
However,when I opened my box of new ARP bolts in specifically said to only torque to 70ft lbs.
The inter web calls for 100ft lbs and 110ft lbs  on number 11 bolt only. Other sites call for 85ft lbs and only 80ft lbs on number 11.

I only wanna do this once so clarification would be greatly appreciated 

Please don't tell my parents I'm a truck driver..... They think I'm a piano player in a whore house...

http://www.legionofjeepers.com
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 9:50am
What engine and year?
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 9:54am
I'd be phoning ARP.
Lubricated bolts can go up to 15% less torque but that's 12.7 ft/lbs less and not 15 ft/lbs.
AMC always stated to install dry but most use a little engine oil and torque to spec with few problems.
I don't know about #11 at that torque - just seems wrong.
By default the TSM is correct.
irish13jeff View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish13jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 9:58am
I’m guessing the reason for the #11 torque difference is due to the fact it’s at a water jacket. 
I just called ARP,they said to go by their specifications of 70 ft lbs using the supplied assembly lube and to just use thread sealer on #11

Edited by irish13jeff - Jan/08/2019 at 10:04am
Please don't tell my parents I'm a truck driver..... They think I'm a piano player in a whore house...

http://www.legionofjeepers.com
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2019 at 10:25pm
trust ARP. it's their fastener. bolts clamp part together by stretching, the stretch is a function of fastener material, etc. the A.R.P. is also far higher quality.

i've only bought them once -- still have them. i would DEFINITELY would replace 50 year old critical fasteners with ARP parts on every engine from now on. they're not even expensive! studs are superior to bolts, the torque is up at the top, not down in the block.

get the lube too. it's not grease, you'll be surprised how much better it all works.

here's my old notes on this: http://195.6ohv.com/HEAD/index.html

Edited by tomj - Jan/09/2019 at 10:27pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic