TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Have you worked at am AMC dealership?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sed0007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2014 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Peter D Peter D wrote:

Dad (SMOKEY) began in the 1940's selling and fixing used cars and during that time he had a gas station repair shop. 1950's opened his used car lot and dabbled in other business as well. I always was a wrench from about 6-7 years old, changed my first spark plugs  at 9 on a straight eight Buick, modified bicycles, fixed lawn mowers and etc. all before 12 at age 15 tore down my first v8 for a valve job, 16 had my first car and was drag racing and building cars thereafter. officially stopped racing at 24.

1962 we opened our AMC dealership Nap Rambler and thereafter known as Nap AMC Jeep , Webster, NY  Suburb of Rochester, NY. I started as a line mechanic then parts assistant, body shop and a sales person, greasy hands and all. It was no cake walk in those days selling Ramblers to the public that only recognized the competition. Dad over time lost interest and was going to sell so I objected and he agreed to let me take over at about 24-25.  The dealership had potential and was a new facility so I proceeded to make changes and within a couple years was one of the top ten dealers in the US. We were on the advisory group and met with Romney and Abernethy. About 1979 my younger bro took over added Ford to our lineup, NAP FORD and stayed with Amc till Chrysler came and closed out the AMC Franchise. I have 4 AMX's 68-69 one is a done,r Bro has 70 AMX.

Cool!  My '62 is from Glenn Burdick Rambler in Syracuse.  Do you have any knowledge of, or memorabilia from this dealership?   Would love to get some dealer literature or key tags or even dealer stickers from this area.

Peace!
'64 550;'63 660;'62 Classic Custom; '69 Rambler 440

http://walkingwithstefan.wordpress.com/
bvpotash1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvpotash1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2014 at 10:42pm

I had a summer job at Majestic Motors in North Syracuse NY. They sold AMC’s and Jeeps.  I was 19 and I did warranty work and new car prep that the flat rate guys didn’t want to do. It was my first mechanic job and I was in-between semesters at auto tech school. My Dad always had Ramblers and AMC products and I thought it was great to work on them. The dealership was relatively new at the time and the 74’s were just out. I drove a 68 Javelin with a 290 at the time.  I bought a basket case 68 AMX for $365.00 and I spent my paychecks buying parts for it. I remember putting a thermostat in a 68 Javelin with a 390 and tow hitch. I took it out for a “road test” and got it sideways when I floored it! I had to have a 390 after that so I bought the basket AMX. The V-8 Gremlins and Hornets were amazingly fast and I got to drive most of them. The owner of the dealership drove a Cadillac and towed a big air-stream trailer. I remember they sold a hornet station wagon and the customer wanted a roof rack. The body shop didn’t want to do it so they gave it to me. I was told if I drilled through the headliner I would be fired. I didn’t drill through the headliner but I did mount it to far back. The body shop ended up fixing my mistake and installing it anyway! Just before I went back to school they cancelled production on Javelins and Ambassadors for no apparent reason.  The sales men were pissed because they had orders for them that didn’t get filled.  That’s my AMC dealership work experience.  It’s the only time I got paid to work on AMC’s. Little did I know I would work on them the rest of my life for free!

ScreamerX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScreamerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2014 at 6:17pm
Worked in Parts dept at Schaumburg AMC from 86-88. Left after the Chrysler buy-out.   Remember one day the factory had a bunch of 70 AMX grills in inventory, and then suddenly there were none.... Chrysler was scrapping the old parts. Heart wrenching.   Sid, the owner, made out like a bandit faking warranty replacements of Alliance head gaskets. Then got greedy and started exaggerating the number of warranty heads we replaced... The factory audit almost shut him down.    Great memory of Walter Payton the great Bears player, picking up a brand new Wagoneer.    Got to say the mechanics worked their butts off, and I learned a good work ethic working with them.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2014 at 7:13pm
At the NE Texas Classic Car Show on Saturday, June 14, 2014, my wife and I had an unexpected surprise. We meet an old AMC dealership employee. Mr. Harmon Keech worked as the Service Manager for Palm Springs AMC, in Palm Springs, Florida from 1965-1978, then the dealership became Glenn Guider Lincoln/Mercury, and Mr. Keech continued working there until 1984.
Mr. Keech had a world of knowledge regarding AMC, and he was impressed that Linda had kept her Javelin for nearly 40 years.
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
ramblerracer View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblerracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 5:51pm
Dolan berg AMC North Platte Neb. Early 80s Myself and Kevin Berg were the only one in the service dept. Still looking for him! Best days of my life!!! Have been on the jeep side in Denver since, Worked at Morris AMS Emick Pollard Denver Jeep Kearns Pro, all dealers in metro area. Building a 1981 Spirit right now ( for the last 10 years ) 
waller amc View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waller amc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2015 at 9:27pm
I worked at my dads dealership wallar amc jeep in bluefield wv 
he owned it from 1973 thru 1981 
i have a 1979 amx i bought new there when i was 18
i will post some pics
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2015 at 6:53am
See this thread pop up so......after attending Comm. College Auto Tech for 2 yrs., started at Defoe Motors in Fort Dodge IA. AMC, Fiat and Semca, (even had a few parts for Sunbeams) in May of '75. Left in Sept the same year.
SC
ramblerdealer View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblerdealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2015 at 7:06pm
I have worked at a rambler dealership since I was 14, that was 1975 when
I started pumping gas and washing cars. I now own it and am the dealer-principal. It's a Chrysler/Jeep store now but it was Rambler/American Motors from sometime in 1955 till 1987.It became Chrysler after being a Jeep/Eagle deal for about 12 years. Prior to 1955 we were a Hudson dealer going back into the 1920s when we sold Essex and Teraplane, Dodge and Desoto too into the 30s. In 1869 we opened as a waggon builder. I will be at the office tomorrow morning at 8am having fun as usual. Aside from the Chryslers, Dodges, & Jeeps the only Ramblers there
right now are a '70Javelin parts car and a '66Rouge project, a 343,and a 401 on engine stands in the shop.
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2015 at 7:38pm
@ramblerdealer

Now that is one healthy pedigree. All in the same town?
rebels&amx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebels&amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2015 at 7:21am
In 1975 i worked used car reccondition at HS Wagner and son 717 east main street Palmyra pa 17078
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic