TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Have you worked at am AMC dealership?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CR CRUISER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2008 at 3:11pm
Started my apprenticeship at Baker's Sales and Service AMC/Jeep (Richmond Hill, Ontario) in '72.
Mechanic at Willowdale AMC/Jeep (Thornhill, Ontario) in '75 (actually bounced back and forth between these 2 for a few years depending on who was paying the most)
Tried a small dealership closer to home in '77, Upper Canada AMC (Newmarket, Ontario). Not enough work.
Back to the first 2 again as mechanic, service manager, parts manager.
Left AMC/Jeep in '81 and started up the sevice department for Suzuki Canada Inc. when they first introduced the Suzuki 4WD into Canada.
When I retired to the west coast in '87 as National Service Manager, I was replaced by a few of the upper management of AMC in Brampton, Ontario.
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2008 at 5:38pm
Me?

Ridge Motors, Lake Wales, FL Parts Manager 1971-1973
Grand AMC, St. Paul, MN 1973 Service Writer
Brooklyn AMC/Jeep Minneapolis, MN1974-79 Wholsale Parts Manager
White Bear AMC/Jeep, St. Paul, MN1979-81 Parts Manager
Capitol Jeep/Eagle  St. Paul, MN1987-1991 Parts Manager
1968AMC770Wagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968AMC770Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 5:11pm
I havent being that i'm 15 but my grandfather worked at Skinner and Damulas in Richfield Springs New York from 1966-till preasent, even though they obviously dont sell AMC's anymore LOL

Edited by 1968AMC770Wagon - Feb/12/2009 at 5:12pm
Zach Orcutt

PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by AMC of Houston AMC of Houston wrote:

That's about it for my AMC dealer memories. 

Great story.  I feel like I just watched a primo episode of "WKRP in Cincinati enters the Local AMC dealership charity Golf Tournement" LOL

For those too young to remember.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKRP_in_Cincinnati
PlazinJavelin
Marlin Wannabe

one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2009 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Mountainmoron Mountainmoron wrote:

At 16, I washed cars at Universal Rambler, E. Jericho Turnpike, Commack, NY. I got to drive a lot of the cars from the front lot to the service garage out back. First time I ever drove a 2-seater AMX was at Universal in 1972. Ever since then I knew I would own one someday (didn't think it would be 30 years later!)

I live a couple of towns away from there.When i made the jump to working at a dealership Amc was closing.So i parked in the Amc lot and walked over to Mitsubish for the next 19 years before(Suffering the same fate as Amc) moving on...they sell acura`s out of the old Amc dealer......
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
amccar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 12:35pm
Northside AMC Jeep in Indianapolis In. and Archer AMC Jeep in Houston Tx. as mechanic.
AMXGT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 3:56pm
  Sundance motor cars in Saskatoon, Sask for almost 2 years in 86-ish. was apprenticing
"Many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on our own point of view"
70donohue View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70donohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2009 at 6:12am
Worked at 2 AMC dealers as a technician in the late 1980's and early 1990's both in Indianapolis  Cross Country AMC Jeep Eagle and West indy AMC Jepp Eagle
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2009 at 6:31am
It's amazing to see how many forum members and AMC'ers are directly connected to a dealership in some way shape or form. I never worked for an AMC dealer (I worked at a Chysler dealerm late 70's early 80's) but AMC was already in my blood because my mother grew up in the house right next door to Sayre Motors, Sayre, PA, the same dealership that my father worked for in the early 60's. I don't remember any time when I was a kid in the 60's right through the 80's that we didn't own a AMC. I purchased my first Javelin (a 69 390 4 spd) in 78 because of the AMC/family connection. Once it's in your blood, you're hooked for life.....
bpwordman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpwordman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2009 at 12:40pm
Yes... and no. In 1995 I was asst parts manager at ECP- Elmira Chrysler Plymouth in Elmira,NY. The dealership was gasping its last due to gross mismanagement (If I cross my eyes I can see two sets of books...). We had the last AMC/Renault parts master fiche that was released and still had a few pieces available that had not gone NS1 (Chrysler speak for discontinued). When the doors were finally locked, I ended up with a NOS 68-70 Javelin/AMX fender to remember them by!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic