TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Have you worked at am AMC dealership?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2008 at 12:52am
I was a mechanic at Charter Motors, Inc. Perry Iowa. He was pretty much getting out of new cars by then but the clientele was there for the shop.
Ramblers/AMC and used cars. He stayed in used cars for a while even after dropping new car sales. Will add their dealer number here when I get to my stuff.
Later turned down service manager position at BUD MULCAHY`S AMC in Des Moines. STUPID move on my part.............. they called ME.
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2008 at 1:13am
Originally posted by tbenvie tbenvie wrote:

Chrysler just pulled the dealership last week as they did not sell enough cars................

Who's bottom line did they hurt with that logic?
 Baffled me when they did that to a dealership that I frequent for my Ambassador and Dodge truck parts.
Daimler did the same to them in 98. They were a Jeep/Eagle dealer and they wanted them to carry the full line or else. Showroom only fit 2.
They opted for the "or else" and are still doing pretty good.
amxed View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2008 at 8:18am
Originally posted by tbenvie tbenvie wrote:

South Shore AMC, Norwell MA. Service Manager.

Also helped out a lot at Hassand Bros AMC/Jeep in Quincy,
MA. They sold Nashes since the 1930s, and Chrysler just pulled the dealership last week as they did not sell enough cars. They will continue as a Used Car Dealership in the same buildings.
Sounds like the AMC dealership I worked at in 68-70  while I was in high school.
My father worked therre since the early 50's
Only AMC pulled Williams motors franchise  at the end of 1970.
 They had already gotten some of there 71 cars. They tried to carry on selling used cars for a couple of years.
this is the building today.
Blaine
68&69 AMX 37 Nash Cabriolet
66 Rambler Conv.48 Willys Jeepster.
matt167 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2008 at 8:41am
Originally posted by 71AMX4014SPD 71AMX4014SPD wrote:

Hoskins Motors, Auburn,NY 1976-1986  (Parts Mgr.) As an aside, Hoskins was an AMC/Rambler  dealer from day one, in 1954 he was selling Hudson badged Nashes. I enjoyed finding NOS Hudson parts in their inventory, as my daily driver back then was a '53 Twin H Hornet. Hoskins Motors closed when Chrsyler bought AMC,as he just hit retirement age. (1954-1987)

Where was that in Auburn? do you know if it re-opened as another dealership?   I have a house not too far from Auburn
71AMX4014SPD View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71AMX4014SPD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2008 at 9:32am
Hoskins Motors was located on Arterial rt5&20  West of Auburn.The Building now houses a tractor dealership, next to Reeses Ice Cream.
1968 Javelin 360 727 B/W/R
1970 AMX 390 4spd Bayshore Blue
1971 Jav/AMX 401 4spd B6
matt167 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2008 at 9:55am
Originally posted by 71AMX4014SPD 71AMX4014SPD wrote:

Hoskins Motors was located on Arterial rt5&20  West of Auburn.The Building now houses a tractor dealership, next to Reeses Ice Cream.

I know where that is, drive by there all the time when I go to Auburn.. My house is in Ovid, so I have to go thru Seneca falls, and that's the route I take,   It's a Case Dealership which means, it's kind of still AMC as some IH trucks used AMC engines, and Case is IH.Smile

Edited by matt167 - Jun/17/2008 at 9:58am
71AMX4014SPD View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71AMX4014SPD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2008 at 10:21am
Yep, that's it!  Ironically, the owners father built the building in the late 1940's, and first opened as a Case Dealership!! In 1954, it became a Hudson/Rambler dealer... 
1968 Javelin 360 727 B/W/R
1970 AMX 390 4spd Bayshore Blue
1971 Jav/AMX 401 4spd B6
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2008 at 6:46pm

Plummer Motor Sales, Swanton Ohio - I hung out after school until I was 13 and then was highered to sweep and clean the shop after school then at 14 I was able to clean and buff the cars. I remember Sept was the showing of the next year cars and it was a BIG deal.

Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2008 at 8:18pm
I worked at Wise Rambler, in Wise, Va, in the summer of 64 between my junior and senior years in school. In the clean up shop.
Then from 86-90 I worked at Mountain Ford, in Clintwood, Va. which also had a Chrysler francise,. I worked in the body shop, As far as the AMC part of the francise went I worked on Jeeps mostly, but also 2 Eagles and 1 Spirit. 
I remember I did a lot of waranty work on Wagoneers, mostly wind noise , water leaks, and hard shutting doors. 

Edited by tyrodtom - Sep/17/2008 at 8:19pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Mountainmoron View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountainmoron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2008 at 8:47pm

At 16, I washed cars at Universal Rambler, E. Jericho Turnpike, Commack, NY. I got to drive a lot of the cars from the front lot to the service garage out back. First time I ever drove a 2-seater AMX was at Universal in 1972. Ever since then I knew I would own one someday (didn't think it would be 30 years later!)

'69 AMX 390EFI, AMO #9412
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic