TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Have you worked at am AMC dealership?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireball327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2015 at 5:24pm
I worked at Stahls' AMC JEEP Renault , in Derby Ct. from 1975 to 1981 I started in the parts Dept. for about 3 years then moved to the service dept. as a mechanic . I worked with Pat Foster for most of those years as he was a salesman at the time (still see pat a couple of times a year and we BS about the good old days)  . The parts Manager (owners son) owned a 69 Trans am Javelin (yes one of the factory cars) I believe it was the #3 car . That was later sold to someone in Wisconson.

Stahls' started as a Willard battery dealer I believe around 1918 then in the thirty's became a Hudson dealer and later AMC then added Jeep around 1976 they lasted until the early 2000's as Dodge Dealer.

My Parents bought there cars from Stahls' from 1958 until 1978 . 1958 cross country wagon, 1966 classic 770 , 1978 pacer wagon V8, they also owned a 1970 hornet  , a 1978 concord and a 1980 spirit they bought as used cars. In 68 When I was ten the AMX GT show car was on display in their show room and I wanted my dad to by it. (LOL)

I bought my first car a 1951 Hudson Commodore from Stahls' a new Jeep pickup in 1978 and 66 Rambler Classic V8 a Trade in 1979. Also owned a 68 Ambassador SST 2dr. Hardtop.

In 1976 I bought a 68 AMX 343 go package car from Bednar AMC in Bridgeport , Ct. from their used car lot  and still have the car today along with 63 Ambassador 990 2 Dr. Sd and a 73 Jeep wagoneer.
fireball327 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireball327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2015 at 4:57pm
Here is a Small list of AMC Dealers that were in south central area of Ct. These are Just the ones I remember !

Lipman Motors Hartford, Ct. - GONE
Georgetown Motors , Ridgefield, Ct.-GONE
Goodman Motors , Hamden , Ct.- GONE
Bednar Motors , Bridgeport, Ct.- GONE
Merium AMC, Branford, Ct. ?
McDermott AMC , New Haven , Ct. - Chevrolet Dealer
Moody Motors , Waterbury, Ct. - GONE
Wetmore's AMC , New Milford , Ct.- Chrysler , Jeep
Pamby's AMC Ridgefield , Ct. - Chrysler , Jeep , They Still Have their AMC/JEEP sign up !
Shaker's , Waterbury , Ct. - Ford / Lincoln
Tufano Motor Car Co. , New Britain , Ct. - GONE
Pine Rock JEEP , Shelton , Ct. - GONE
Stahls' , Derby , Ct. - GONE
1970AMX360 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970AMX360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2015 at 3:16pm
I worked as a salesman at Sewickley Sales and Service, the local AMC dealer here, for a couple of years.
I bought my first AMX there, a 1970 390 4 speed in Golden Lime Metallic.
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2015 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by fireball327 fireball327 wrote:

Here is a Small list of AMC Dealers that were in south central area of Ct. These are Just the ones I remember !

Lipman Motors Hartford, Ct. - GONE
Georgetown Motors , Ridgefield, Ct.-GONE
Goodman Motors , Hamden , Ct.- GONE
Bednar Motors , Bridgeport, Ct.- GONE
Merium AMC, Branford, Ct. ?
McDermott AMC , New Haven , Ct. - Chevrolet Dealer
Moody Motors , Waterbury, Ct. - GONE
Wetmore's AMC , New Milford , Ct.- Chrysler , Jeep
Pamby's AMC Ridgefield , Ct. - Chrysler , Jeep , They Still Have their AMC/JEEP sign up !
Shaker's , Waterbury , Ct. - Ford / Lincoln
Tufano Motor Car Co. , New Britain , Ct. - GONE
Pine Rock JEEP , Shelton , Ct. - GONE
Stahls' , Derby , Ct. - GONE
I live on Long Island (Lived in the Yale area for a while in the mid 80`s)and still listen to 99 rock.They always had commercials for Mcdermott Chevy but i don’t seem to hear them anymore are they still open?I was supposed to meet some of my friend`s today at the East Haven car show with my 68 sedan but they keep calling for rain.... 
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
punkpa View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punkpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2015 at 4:47am
When I was going to tech school near Chicago I worked at Jeep Eagle of DuPage in 1991-1992.A few years after AMC went under but there were still a lot of Eagles around then.
jayramb View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayramb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2015 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Rogue401 Rogue401 wrote:

I worked for State Rambler in Schenectady, NY fall 1967-1969 detailing new and used cars. I just turned 16 and got to drive new Javelins and AMXs. The only thing he wouldn't let me drive was their two SC/Ramblers. I did run it around the lot lunch time when the boss wasn't around.

One of the highlights was driving the new cars into a local shopping mall for a new car show. I drove a 69 390 automatic AMX in. The mall said if you chirped the tires you were out, but I couldn't resist. You had to drive down this long hall to get onto the floor of the mall and I'll never forget how nice that car sounded echoing in that hallway! Another thing that was a lot of fun was the Thursday auctions. They would buy "program" cars (I don't know what that meant). Most of them were 4 door Rebels but once in a while they would get 343 SST Hardtops which were fun to drive back.

They seamed to order a lot of performance cars. There were quite a few 290 Rogues. The parts manager ordered a sweet 290 4 speed American wagon. The most frustrating thing was that the salesmen where absolutely clueless about performance cars and couldn't care less. They lost a lot of sales because of it.

My nickname was "firebug" because I went to pull a leftover 67 Rebel SST out of the back lot to prepare for delivery. This car was absolutely loaded, 2 dr HT, that rose color with a black vinyl top, 343, buckets, everything. It was below freezing and the car probably hadn't run in months so it was hard to start. I pumped it a couple of times and it would try to start and I kept pumping it, it started to catch there was a pop and then we were on fire! Fire started coming up under the dash... and the cars are parked so tight together I could hardly crawl out. I ran into the shop screaming "FIRE" and by the time we got back it was a total loss. It actually scorched the cars next to it. Come to find out some mechanic pulled the carb off to use on something else and just laid the fuel line and air cleaner over the intake and even left the return spring on the throttle linkage. All I was doing was shooting raw gas in the engine.

Probably the most fun job I ever had!   

The 67 SST's were my ab fab favorite Rebel Design!! That brought sadness to me that it was totaled. :(
Jayson Helenske
See my webiste! www.1967AMCRamblerRebel.weebly.com
Current Cars:
1967 Rambler Rebel 770 290 V8 4-barrel and Paint - Marina Aqua.
1966 MARLIN 327 V8 4 barrel and Paint-Med. Cortez Aqua
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2015 at 8:26am
And the easy way to get rid of a hard to sell leftover, maybe orders from the top? Wink
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2016 at 6:05pm
Thruway Motors , Nyack N.Y.  1980. Worked in the parts dept. They were in the process of changing from parts books to microfiche. If i only knew then what i knew now. I would have bought every thing i could get my hands on. Think i got a license plate light and a pair of exhaust tips for my '70 AMX when i worked there.
unclebucks View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclebucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2018 at 11:18am
surprised to only see 1 post from WI I worked at a small dealership in Milwaukee it was on 51st and forest home McCarthy AMC JEEP I started as a lot boy while in high school and worked my way into the garage and also filled in in the parts department when the regular lady was off
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2018 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Rogue343 Rogue343 wrote:

My dad had worked in the car business for a number of years before opening a retail tire business (Warehouse Tire) in January of 1970.  He purchased the local AMC dealer in April 1976 (Warehouse AMC/Jeep) and I started working in parts department after school and cleaning up the shop on Saturdays.  Did that until I enlisted in the Navy in May 1980.  Dad kept the franchise until 1982 and stayed in the used car business for a couple of years after that.  Retail tire store stoll going after 42 years.   

Worked at Warehouse AMC/Jeep  when I was laid off from structural steel job.   Friend of the Family and got to wash some cars and drive to and from auctions 
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic