TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Harbor Freight Parts Washer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harbor Freight Parts Washer
    Posted: Nov/17/2015 at 10:51am
I have one of those Chinese (in my case I think it's actually from Taiwan, as mine is from the middle 80s) parts washers. The pump has hose connections on it that are plastic. One of these has given up the fight and broken. I need a new pump.

Also I noticed the other day that the melt-able safety link broke and the lid won't stay open via the spring loaded linkage anymore.

Has this happened to anyone?

Is there a replacement pump and melt-able link kit for these things? I've looked on ebay, HF website and searched without much luck. Am I looking in the wrong place?

or is it easier to buy a new one and use the old one for something else.

Another question, is there anything comparable to one of the HF parts washers that can use water based solvents and has an integral heater?

Thanks for your help.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2015 at 11:27am
Search the specific part and you get a lot of hits, this one is in Canada, but just the first one I clicked on.

http://www.canbuilt.com/products.php?subcat=66&cat=16
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Photon440 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Photon440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2015 at 12:00pm
Fusible links are pretty common for fire doors, something in here should fit your needs:
http://www.globetechnologies.com/fire-doors-windows.php
Faster is Better
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2015 at 12:18pm
I replaced the pump with a fountain pump from the garden center.
It does not "BOLT IN" just put it in the place where the other pump resided.
If you want a heater look at oil pan heaters, the pad type, used on cars in cold climates. I believe they are 120v. Put it on a timer.
I have used Simple Green.
Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2015 at 8:07am
I replaced the pump in my parts washer last year. The solvent eventually ate through the pump after a couple of decades. It turns out the pump was designed for use in aquariums. I was able to track down a replacement from the part number on the pump. In my case, all of the electrical is in the pump - no fuseable link to replace.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2015 at 2:35pm
My tank came from Northern Tools several years ago. It's similar to the HF but when I compared it was a bit better in how it was made. Yeah, still Chinese mass produced but a bit heavier, etc.
The pumps are pretty basic and universal as far as what I have. You can get replacements at Northern to this day.
The fusible link on the lid melts at about 160 degrees if I recall the requirements and can also be replaced which I believe is also a requirement.

The solvent I use is basically mineral spirits - beware some tanks/pumps state that they won't work with "solvent" - meaning no mineral spirits. I've used both and like the good old fashioned solvent but it's hard on people and gloves. I have to buy new gloves every few months but it's worth it, IMO. I compared the solvent at Northern for something like 70 bucks for 5 gallons to 40 bucks at Menards, and that's when I realized - gee, it's mineral spirits, just like for clean-up when you paint with oil based house paint, or certain caulking compounds.

The pumps like mine uses has a very simple slide-in filter than keeps chunks out.

My solvent tank is still buried in my shop equipment and stuff outside so I can't easily get to it to get a picture or other info, but I suspect the pump in mine would work in yours unless drastically different.

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 7:42pm
Let me know what you do for a pump as I need one also. I got a tank but did not come with a pump. I did a quick look years ago and forgot what I found back then.

As for solvent I have used in a small dish pan and bought 10 gal. for the parts washer Zep purple de-greaser at home depot. It is pretty strong stuff and think I will cut it with water when I get the washer setup.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 8:51pm
Kerosene works really well.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2015 at 2:00pm
Still haven't figured this one out.

The old pump is designed for mineral spirits, Stoddard solvent, stuff like that. The nylon where the spout fastens to gave up the fight.

I am old school, I still like Stoddard solvent and it's available where I live.

That's the reason the failed meltable link in the lid prop rod was a disappointment when I discovered it had failed. Gotta have that safety for my own peace of mind when using Stoddard solvent.

Armand

Armand.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2016 at 1:37pm
Little update to my wash tank and pump.
Was at HF looking for other things and came across a fountain pump think it was $20 so I bought it, will have to get part number & GPH thing works great.

I fitted rubber fuel hose to the pump and threw it in to the tank on the bottom. The pump has suction cups to hold it in place but they don’t hold too well. Hose could be a little longer so I can put the liquid right where I need it but for now it works. Be great if I could find a brush that has a hose on it so the liquid comes out the brush end.

Anyway I used 5 gal of Zep purple de-greaser cut with 5 gal of water and so far it has done a pretty good job of cleaning oily, greases parts for a project I am working on. I rinse the parts with clean water let dry and paint.

I should put the pump in a “reservoir” so it can pull cleaner liquid thru it and not the crud off the bottom from the parts I am cleaning.

I now need to get better lighting over the parts washer so I can see what I am doing!
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic