TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Harbor Freight "Black Widow" HTE Spray Gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harbor Freight "Black Widow" HTE Spray Gun
    Posted: Feb/16/2020 at 10:14pm
I bought my first paint spray gun three or four years ago... the famous HF purple guns that do a pretty good job considering their $15 or so price.  I later upgraded to $130 Graco/Sharpe 3000.  I painted my Javelin with that gun but never really was happy with it.  I spent most of my time sanding orange peel, despite trying different pressures, settings, paints etc. It just wouldn't consistently lay the paint flat.

I happened to notice that the new HF Black Widow HTE gun was getting great reviews on the HF web site, so I decided to try one.  It's $200, and with the omnipresent 20% discount coupon expect to pay $160.  Right off the bat I have to say this gun rocks!  I painted a test panel yesterday and today painted the rear cap on my motor home that was faded from the Arizona sun.  Paint lays flat, with no sign of orange peel whatsoever.

Last I looked, there were 42 reviews on the HF web site for this gun, and all but three of them give it a 5-star rating!  Those three were 4-star.

Edited by CamJam - Feb/16/2020 at 10:16pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 12:08am
What size tips are available? 
javguy
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 6:08am
1.3 and 1.7. I understand many of the Sata parts are interchangeable, but not sure if that includes tips.

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 7:51am
I use the $15 HF guns on all my projects with success. Usually I only use them once and trash them. It's cheaper to trash them than buying gun cleaner. I sometimes clean one for primer, but buy the throw away cups; as that saves gun cleaner.

I just don't know if I could pay that much $ for a HF, but you do have a compelling argument if they are that good. 

Hopefully my painting days are coming to an end. All I see in my future after completing Road Warrior is to paint the front clip on Rapid Delivery, my postal jeep. I was planning on doing it this winter but it didn't happen.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 10:19am
What paint did you use Cam? Single Stage or Base Clear?
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 11:33am
Originally posted by 70 Donohue 390 70 Donohue 390 wrote:

What paint did you use Cam? Single Stage or Base Clear?

When I did the Javelin I used single stage acrylic enamel, as I was after something that looked like the original paint.  On everything else I've done I use single stage acrylic urethane.  Though you can clear coat it, I haven't tried that yet. I've been mostly painting parts of my motor home and tow car that have faded from the Arizona sun plus some dent repairs on my girlfriend's Prius.

I'd like to repaint the Javelin now that I've got a decent gun, but I don't really feel like starting over on it right now.  I might redo the hood though.  For now I just make sure to keep it raised when I'm at car shows, lol.

target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 3:50pm
Several of my friends in a body shop forum have bought it and are pleased. PPS adapters are available that work with it too. Only thing I see they need to do is stock parts for it in the store. If it's your primary paint gun you need to have parts available at the store so you are not without a gun waiting on parts.
CARnivore View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CARnivore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 5:46pm
Good quality paint is half the equation. The rest is gun, technique and application 
theamcguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theamcguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 7:33am
Does it come with both tips?  
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
1967 Rebel SST
1969 SC/Rambler
1972 Hornet Sportabout
1976 Matador Brougham
AMCRC. AMCWC, AMO, NAMDRA

target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 8:31am
I don't think so bill. The hvlp gun is 1.3. The compliant gun is 1,7. Two different guns. That's how I understand it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic