TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Harbor Freight 00086 touch-up gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harbor Freight 00086 touch-up gun
    Posted: Jul/07/2009 at 7:05am
I needed to spray a battery tray and the area around the battery after making some repairs. My binks and devilbiss guns were too large to get in there easily. I recall steve_p telling of the inexpensive guns at Harbor Freight. Gads, I never thought I'd go back there to buy tools........ but in this case, I'm really pleased that I did!
I paid $14 for their touch-up gun. The cup held just enough to do that area, tray and all, and the small diamater cup didn't get in the way.
The top trigger meant I could drop the gun down into the area to spray and wasn't working my hand at an odd angle reaching down for a normal trigger.
It operated smoothly and sprayed a nice pattern right out of the box. Literally, I had to make only a couple small changes to get the pattern I wanted. I figured this green metallic would cause some issues - maybe uneven spray, blotching, etc. but it didn't. Any irregularities I blame on my lack of practice and shaky hands.
And at that price, if it goes bad, I'll scrap it for parts and get another.......
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=86

Pros : Light, easy to use top trigger for hard-to-reach spots, small diameter cup stays out of the way, easy to clean. At roughly a pound, it wan't hard on my arthritis.
Cons: I looked but it doesn't look like they carry any parts - if something happens, I either wait and hope to order parts, or scrap it and buy another, (I choose the latter option) Can't think of other cons.............

jkarisny View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkarisny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2009 at 11:34am
Ha! I bought one of these guns the other day. I used it once, it sprayed ok. Then I soaked it for 10 min in thinner, and 2 of the adjustment screws dissolved! WHAT? It wasn't even new thinner! I think I'll stick with the name brand stuff from now on.
You can do things the right way or the wrong way.

Or you can do it MY way...which is like the wrong way, only faster.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2009 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by jkarisny jkarisny wrote:

Ha! I bought one of these guns the other day. I used it once, it sprayed ok. Then I soaked it for 10 min in thinner, and 2 of the adjustment screws dissolved! WHAT? It wasn't even new thinner! I think I'll stick with the name brand stuff from now on.
Yeah, but for $14, and thats cheaper than taking it to a body shop and paying them to do it for you......
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2009 at 12:18pm
Metal screws?
Did you read the directions? No soaking, no disassembly.........
What's the difference between new and old thinner? That comment has me curious!
matt167 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2009 at 12:53pm
I'v got 2 of those guns. there not bad, but when mine clog up or crap out I don't think I'll replace them.. just like the rest of my siphon feeds... I'v got 2 gravity feeds, and there spray is 110% better.. eventully I'll get the gravity feed touch up gun...  There no Iwata, Binks or Devilbliss but hey.. I'v got less than $200 in all my paint guns ( and I have 6 ).. if I had enough compressor, I would have the 4340 purple HVLP also

and yea, in the instructions it says not to soak them..  but I would also wonder what kind of thinner, as there are specific gun cleaning thinners.. I use lacquer thinner but I don't soak them.. I spray them out, and then wipe them out with the thinner on a rag.. removing only the tip
jkarisny View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkarisny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2009 at 2:35pm
Ok, "soaking" my gun was a bad choice of words, I have a paint gun washing machine, and I put it in there for less than ten minutes, and when I went to wipe off the outside of the gun, the adjustment knobs were mush! And it was a "gun cleaning fluid" bought at my local autobody supply house. Maybe it was a defective product? But I know I won't buy H.F stuff anymore. You spend more time going back to the store to buy a new one, than you do using the tools themselves. Or maybe I should get the "extended warranty" on their $15 gun.

and my comment of it not being "new" thinner....
"new" thinner meaning it has not been cycled through an used for six moths of cleaning guns/parts. It gets diluted with paint/grease/dirt/etc. and seems to be less potent.

Edited by jkarisny - Aug/16/2009 at 3:36pm
You can do things the right way or the wrong way.

Or you can do it MY way...which is like the wrong way, only faster.
matt167 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2009 at 4:48pm
Well.. when you consider the cost is only $15  ( and mine was on sale for $5 each ).. what more do you want?  you could buy a few and throw them out as you use them... whats' a good gun cost? 150 at the minimum, if your going to use it a few times a year, theres no point... I also checked the adjustment screws on 1 of mine.  looks like aluminum, but theres no cast lines inside or out.. so it's probably some kind of coating on pot metal.. but  was $6 and a few years old now so I can't complain.... only things HF has failed me on are drills and a saws all
rwolak@verizon.net View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwolak@verizon.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2009 at 6:56pm
I've had that same gun for a number of years and a lot of paint jobs and haven't had a problem with it.  As a matter of fact, I just completed painted my '68 AMX and used the gun to shot the engine bay (didn't remove the engine) and some of the trunk area.  Did a great job.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2009 at 2:14pm
I have two of the small gravity feed HVLP guns from HF and have had them for 5+ years.  I modified one for primer use by drilling out (by hand) the nozzle and mainly use this one only now. The construction is pretty good on them, and I have ordered spare parts for them from HF in the past.  I think they have all of the parts, at least everything I've needed, I batch order stuff, and they are also reasonably priced.  I think these guns are usually $40-50.  They spray pretty good for the $.  They only put out a small spray pattern (max) so it's kind of a pain painting something as large as an assembled engine with them.  I also have a DeVilbiss touch up gun, I think an SRi?, and it's much sexier, sprays a 2X larger pattern than the HF if desired, sprays nicer, and, of course, costs 5-6X as much.  So, now I use the modded HF for primer and the DeVilbiss touch up for everything else. 

I also have a couple of full size DeVilbiss Finishline guns and would recommend them- excellent gun for the $.

Edited by Steve_P - Aug/25/2009 at 2:16pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2009 at 2:26pm
Our local HF doesn't carry squat for parts and in fact will brush you off or simply tell you nothing is available. I suspect HF web would be the better bet. This store here is an exercise in patience, but I don't judge all their stuff based on how this store is run.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic