TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Guys I'm a crazy adapting manual to a Rolls Engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Guys I'm a crazy adapting manual to a Rolls Engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkostoj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guys I'm a crazy adapting manual to a Rolls Engine
    Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 6:22pm
So, I'm building a race car for the 24 hours of lemons race series. https://24hoursoflemons.com/

I thought a mid 70's Rolls Royce silver shadow would fit the bill perfectly.

So, this car uses a GM transmission with a AMC V8 Bolt pattern.

I am trying to figure out the best way to adapt a manual transmission that could live being tortured in an hardcore endurance track race.

The engine is incredible, heavy duty forged pushrod v8 gear driven with aluminum heads and I'll adapt a Holley to it.

Best case scenario would be a T56, but I'm open to anything really.

I Know of one other car that did it successfully using a T-18 Transmission so I know its possible.

Edited by darkostoj - Jul/03/2018 at 6:59pm
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 6:45pm
If you use a 76-86 Jeep CJ bellhousing (about 6 1/2" deep), there are a lot of Ford transmissions that will bolt up.  Think Ford 2WD truck.  T-18, NP435 if you don't mind a granny low, T-176 with a syncro 1st.  You could also use a world class T-5 for OD, or a T-10.

Lots of early AMC cars had T-10s, but they use an 8" deep bellhousing.  As long as you get the trans and bellhousing, it would bolt up.  This is assuming you can find a flywheel and pilot bushing and fabricate a clutch linkage.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
darkostoj View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkostoj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

If you use a 76-86 Jeep CJ bellhousing (about 6 1/2" deep), there are a lot of Ford transmissions that will bolt up.  Think Ford 2WD truck.  T-18, NP435 if you don't mind a granny low, T-176 with a syncro 1st.  You could also use a world class T-5 for OD, or a T-10.

Lots of early AMC cars had T-10s, but they use an 8" deep bellhousing.  As long as you get the trans and bellhousing, it would bolt up.  This is assuming you can find a flywheel and pilot bushing and fabricate a clutch linkage.

Bob
tufcj

I used to have a CJ-7, so I am familiar with those types of transmissions.  Was looking for something more close ratio that would work well on a racetrack that is heavy duty since it will be beaten very hard.

I was hoping to somehow adapt a hydraulic throwout bearing to the AMC bell.  Is that possible?
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 7:55pm
Roll Royce has V8's with AMC bellhousing patterns???!

wow that's a mind blower!

There was a subject here about adapting a Supra 5 speed which is very similar to the AX-15 used in late 80's to mid 90's Jeeps.

Not crazy heavy duty, or very close ration,
 but probably the best balance of the two you'll find on a lemons budget
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 7:58pm
Found the thread:

good luck!

post some engine pics when you can please,
 I'd really like to see what this engine looks like ClapLOLClap
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 8:11pm
Not just the heads are aluminum, but the block too.

And the doors, hood and trunk.
4 wheel disk brakes, 4 wheel independent suspension,  two calipers on the front,  quite advanced for it's time.

I been restoring a 69, off and on, for about 9 months .

I'm probably too late,   if you don't trash the trim I know where you can sell it.

Those doors,  once you get the window motors, latch and window frame out, only weigh about 20 lbs each.
About nothing is easy ,  when you're working on a Rolls though.

You're starting out with a better car than I did.  Mine was crushed by a snow loaded roof. I've replaced roof and R.F. fender.   The steel body has a lot of lead in it to give it the one piece look,   and crisp lines.
Maybe 50 pounds of lead in it from the molded front fender, and rear roof joint.

I've got the car completely stripped,  but still on the chassis.

Maybe we could sneak/ swap mine out and replace it with yours,  and the boss would never notice.

If you want some advice on non-destructive disassembly, I totally took this 69 down,   and I've got all  the manuals, about 8 or 9, thick books.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jul/03/2018 at 8:32pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
darkostoj View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkostoj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

Found the thread:

http://theamcforum.com/FORUM/r154-adapted-to-amc-kit-feeler_topic64552_page1&SID=917310994867c31a71fc65c61caa80811805556. - http://theamcforum.com/FORUM/r154-adapted-to-amc-kit-feeler_topic64552_page1&SID=917310994867c31a71fc65c61caa80811805556.html
 good luck!

post some engine pics when you can please,
 I'd really like to see what this engine looks like ClapLOLClap

So the engines are all forged aluminum 410ci small blocks.  Pretty sure camshafts are gear driven with a single cam/pushrods and dual SU carbs. The camshaft has two lifters on the back which pressurize the brake & suspension system at the same time.  These always fail and will have to be converted to a conventional brake setup.

I will adapt a holley carb, I think a 2nd gen camaro subframe will bolt up and I will use that stock suspension on the front.

Rear I will have to come up with something, not sure yet.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 9:58pm
If your's has the manual starter solenoid under the hood,  be very careful.   It will start the engine even if the transmission is in gear.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2018 at 5:47am
With a V-8 T-10 bell housing you could use an old T-85 or T-89 three speed (T-89 is the strongest, and what I'd look for, from a 327)). You won't be doing any down-shifting into first -- or shouldn't, especially with one of those!  No synchro to first, but a strong one between 2nd and 3rd. You'd just be doing a lot of shuffling between 2nd and 3rd...
Frank Swygert
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2018 at 7:02am
Why not a T-15 ?
If they're racing on road courses,  some have some low speed turns where a usable 1st might be nice.
 Depends on what particular tracks they're racing at.
But a strong 5 speed is what's needed.

It's been decades since I've been on a road racing course,  but the more gears you have the better.  Keeping any engine close to between it's torque and HP peak is where it's fastest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic