TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Gremlin Vs Pacer (Which to Use for a Platform?)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gremlin Vs Pacer (Which to Use for a Platform?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gremlin Vs Pacer (Which to Use for a Platform?)
    Posted: Oct/25/2020 at 9:54am
So along with planning my 360 build, I’ve been putting some thought into which car it will eventually go into. So far I’ve been thinking either a Gremlin or a Pacer (wouldn’t be against a Spirit either)

It seems like the Gremlin would be a lot easier to get down to 2500 lbs. How hard is it to bring the weight down in the Pacer? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to each?

Edited by WhatISit - Oct/25/2020 at 9:57am
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2020 at 11:26am
i totally agree on the gremlin most the the pacers weight in at about 3000 plus pounds its all in the glass and interior  parts for front end for pacer are becoming hard to get  were the gremlin is basic steering  gear box front cross member for a v8 would be hard to come by for pacer or would have to fab  for the most part the pacer were not around long compared to the gremlin so parts are out there have thought about ramblers for a body to work with they do pop up most ramblers come in at 2800 or less    
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by mixed up mixed up wrote:

i totally agree on the gremlin most the the pacers weight in at about 3000 plus pounds its all in the glass and interior  parts for front end for pacer are becoming hard to get  were the gremlin is basic steering  gear box front cross member for a v8 would be hard to come by for pacer or would have to fab  for the most part the pacer were not around long compared to the gremlin so parts are out there have thought about ramblers for a body to work with they do pop up most ramblers come in at 2800 or less    

Yea, I have put some thought into something like a Rogue. I've never messed with Plexiglass for window replacement. Does it provide a good weight savings? I wonder if replacing all the glass would make a big difference.

I have about 5 Pacers in my area for $3000 or less and no Gremlins--that's why I ask lol
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2020 at 12:24pm
I thought an 80 spirit was a fairly good car to lighten up. The downside for Gremlins are they are not as aerodynamic. But amcenthusiast figured out how to make the front better for that.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2020 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by WhatISit WhatISit wrote:

Yea, I have put some thought into something like a Rogue. I've never messed with Plexiglass for window replacement. Does it provide a good weight savings? I wonder if replacing all the glass would make a big difference.
You're probably not going to find a cheap Rouge, but I had a 69 2-door sedan that had a 258/ 4-spd that weighed 2590# with half tank of gas. All the way around a Rambler is better drag race option than a Gremlin do to having a longer wheel base and more overhang behind the rear tires. 

Plexiglass is a very poor option for race car windows. You want to use Lexan (GE's trade name) or polycarbonate (which is what Lexan is). Personally unless you willing to spend a lot of money, do a lot of work I would avoid messing with the windows, and I forsure would never change the rear window or the windows in the back seat. You want to keep that weight for traction. If it's a bracket car consider the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid) more often than not it works out a lot better and you'll enjoy the car a lot more.

Tom

Edited by PROSTOCKTOM - Oct/26/2020 at 12:05pm
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2020 at 4:12pm
2500 lbs will take a bit of work, my 74 Gremlin is around 2800 lbs with 360, 727 and AMC 20 driveline. Bumpers have been removed, interior is stripped out except for the drivers seat and dash frame. Manual steering, alloy radiator, alloy wheels.

Next step would probably be alloy heads, that's worth 45 lbs, then maybe Wilwood brakes up front 30 lbs. Running out of ideas after that and if you go fast enough you will need a cage, which is going to add weight.

Always wondered why nobody makes an alloy case Saginaw steering box, there would be a few lbs there. 

Edited by WesternRed - Oct/25/2020 at 4:14pm
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

2500 lbs will take a bit of work, my 74 Gremlin is around 2800 lbs with 360, 727 and AMC 20 driveline. Bumpers have been removed, interior is stripped out except for the drivers seat and dash frame. Manual steering, alloy radiator, alloy wheels.

Next step would probably be alloy heads, that's worth 45 lbs, then maybe Wilwood brakes up front 30 lbs. Running out of ideas after that and if you go fast enough you will need a cage, which is going to add weight.

Always wondered why nobody makes an alloy case Saginaw steering box, there would be a few lbs there. 

How much weight do you think you took off doing those things?
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 3:58pm
Front bumper and mounts 72 lbs (74 has the heavy reinforcement behind it plus bumper shocks) 
Steel wheels and radials to alloy and slicks/front runners was 40 lb, since gone to drag radials (heavier)
Wiper motor 5 lbs
Rear seat 30 lbs
rear seat bets 5 lbs
Front seats are 50 lbs each
Centre console 16 lbs 
Carpet 15 lbs
Power steering to manual saves 15 lbs
A/C is worth 40 lbs if you have that to take out.

Remember the the AMC20 is heavy, 9" probably heavier unless you put fancy stuff in it.
727 is heavy, better with the 904/998 if you want to keep the weight down.
Light weight battery if you are keen, but they are expensive, I'm in the process of relocating mine to the rear for hopefully better weight transfer, battery is about 45 lbs.
Exhaust, hard to say, depends if you need to run mufflers.

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
360x View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 360x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 5:36pm
i have a 1975 gremlin thats similar to western red - mine weighs 2640 w/o me(155) last pass @keystone was 13.23(mild 360 ) - got it really cheap back in 2018 - its one of my retirement hobbiesBig smile
360x View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 360x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 5:43pm
sorry - mine is similar to WHATISIT.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic