TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gremlin Trim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captnflkbbqtm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gremlin Trim
    Posted: Mar/20/2019 at 11:35am
  Hello all,

Was not sure where to post this but I am picking up a 72 True V8 gremlin, I was wondering if base gremlins came with the 304 as well or if this is an X, more so is there a way to tell a true gremlin x? It was originally a 304 3 speed manual car?

Thank You

ArdsleyTank View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdsleyTank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2019 at 11:45am
The X package came with a sport steering wheel, engine-turned aluminum dash, Gremlin X badge on the glovebox, and bucket seats as standard.  Along with side stripes, painted rear panel (same color as stripes), painted grille (same color as body) and engine size decal on the back, of course.

Also, I know that some (not all) X-cars have a "GX" added to the color code on the body tag.

For example, my Gremlin X's color code is D7-GX.  D7 denoting the main color, Trans-Am Red, and GX denoting the X package, for the rear panel and grille.

Hope this helps.
Peter
1973 Gremlin Factory V8 Base--Trans-Am Red with Gold Pinstripes--304 2BBL Bone Stock
captnflkbbqtm View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captnflkbbqtm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 1:21pm
  According to the Codes its a C9 Hunter green, with no x so assuming its a base car though I never knew you could get the base model in a 3 speed v8 still cool none the less. *it is curently stripped down and primer* which is why i am trying to figure it out.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 1:40pm
The thing to remember is that the "X" option was a trim/appearance option - nothing more. About the only thing driveline/chassis related to the "X" package option were things like specific tires, wheels, and on some years, a front sway bar.  Drivetrain selection were different line items, so it is absolutely possible to have a base Gremlin with a V8, just as it was in 1977 for instance, to order a Gremlin "X" - with the tiny 2.0 litre 4 cylinder and an automatic.

There's this whole hobby-wide belief that Gremlin X's were better performing (in whatever metric) than a base Gremlin, and this is absolutely not the case - unless someone took the time during the ordering process to intentionally make it a better performing car by ticking the appropriate boxes completely separate from the "X" trim box.

73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

captnflkbbqtm View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captnflkbbqtm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by 73Gremlin401 73Gremlin401 wrote:

The thing to remember is that the "X" option was a trim/appearance option - nothing more. About the only thing driveline/chassis related to the "X" package option were things like specific tires, wheels, and on some years, a front sway bar.  Drivetrain selection were different line items, so it is absolutely possible to have a base Gremlin with a V8, just as it was in 1977 for instance, to order a Gremlin "X" - with the tiny 2.0 litre 4 cylinder and an automatic.

There's this whole hobby-wide belief that Gremlin X's were better performing (in whatever metric) than a base Gremlin, and this is absolutely not the case - unless someone took the time during the ordering process to intentionally make it a better performing car by ticking the appropriate boxes completely separate from the "X" trim box.

Thanks for that explanation. I actually just read something else explaning. I plan to go with hunter green for the paint not sure which direction to go with trim yet, but trying to atleast keep it year specific though I do know the dash is from something else it has 3 gages instead of 2. Important thing to me was clean title and vin matched the car.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 2:49pm

Thanks for that explanation. I actually just read something else explaning. I plan to go with hunter green for the paint not sure which direction to go with trim yet, but trying to atleast keep it year specific though I do know the dash is from something else it has 3 gages instead of 2. Important thing to me was clean title and vin matched the car.
[/QUOTE]

Nice!  The Hornet-style 3-hole dash does pop up from time to time on Gremlins, so it is possible that it may be original to your car (unless it has obviously been swapped) Typically it was either part of the 'custom' interior trim, or if a clock, tach or fuel economy gauge was ordered - each year was a bit different, and the 3-hole setup was more frequently seen (but was never standard) in the later years.  For your specific year model, I don't know if that was the case or not, but I can do some research through my materials and find out.

The green paint is a great choice to stick with, there were never many in that color.  Phoenix Graphics makes virtually every stripe pattern that was offered on Gremlins, base, custom and X trim lines, so there are plenty of choices out there when you get to that point. Good luck!  I'm on Gremlin #5 myself, and really enjoy them.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 2:50pm
Have you checked out Phoenix Graphics web site?

Missed it by that much.

Edited by greasygt III - Mar/21/2019 at 2:52pm
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic