TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gremlin Fuel Cell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gremlin Fuel Cell
    Posted: Oct/29/2017 at 6:13pm
What are people using for fuel cells in their Gremlins? Preferably something that is a fairly direct replacement for the stock tank and can use the stick filler. This is for a stock body.
THE STING View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE STING Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2017 at 5:25am
Years ago when using a stock tank I put in a weld in drop with two AN fittings for fuel pick up...https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cee-4041

You will have to copy and paste the above link in a search bar like google.

Edited by THE STING - Oct/30/2017 at 5:28am
AKA(AMC BOYS)Rob
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2017 at 6:28am
Haven't had a good look at the tank yet, but already has a patch soldered on the bottom and it looks like it might be leaking elsewhere. Would prefer not to blow myself up trying to weld it, so if there is an easy off the shelf replacement, that might be a better option than trying to find someone who can repair it for me.
bubbarules1958 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbarules1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2017 at 9:48am
No off the shelf option that I'm aware of.I put a sump on mine, fixed all the holes then lined it with red kote. Soak it in soapy water for a couple of days and the gas fumes will go away. Any good radiator shop can do all of this for you if you don't have the tools.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2017 at 4:31pm
Let's hope I can make one of these work:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/jzp-260-008-01

Radiator shop wanted $400 to clean the tank plus another $135 to coat it if needed (Australian prices) and then I would still need a new pickup and sender.

Edited by WesternRed - Nov/03/2017 at 4:36pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2017 at 4:11pm
Trying to work out the best way to install this thing. I didn't really want to have any fuel lines in the passenger compartment, but by the time you put a 90 degree fitting on top of this fuel cell for the fuel outlet and vent line, you would need to space the tank about 75mm down from the floor in the back and you still end up with the filler line running through the cabin.

The plan is to use something like this in the stick filler location to fill the tank:

The question is really if there are any issues with running the fuel line through the cabin for a short distance?
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2017 at 8:52pm
Mount the tank under the trunk area. Figure out where to mount it where the filler neck will line up with the hole in the rear panel. The only thing that will come up into the pass. compartment will be the vent and the filler neck. You can enclose one or both as the fuel line will be under the car.
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 12:48am
I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the fuel outlet will need to be moved from the top of the tank.
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the fuel outlet will need to be moved from the top of the tank.

You can enclose the fuel outlet by taking up minimal space in the package area.Use two 90 degree fittings out of the cell.That would be the easiest and most economical route. I'll see if I can find pictures of my old gremlin to show how it worked for me.

Ed F.

former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 8:03pm
I did think of boxing the line in, but figured that buying an extra bulkhead fitting and moving the outlet to the side of the tank would be a better solution.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic