TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gremlin Exhaust Replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2015 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

Here in the SW where exhaust systems do not rust out with much frequency muffler shops regularly bend up exhaust systems. I have had full and partial systems installed on my cars and the prices were reasonable, but that sure can be different in what part of the country yo live in as to what the perception of reasonable is.
I would imagine a full system to be in the $300 to $400 range some where including a generic free flow catalytic converter.
But on the other hand, I would also expect the pipes to be available through a major chain auto parts or a muffler shop.
Can't say for sure and have not looked. No I don't think it can be done "for cheap" but I can believe it to be affordable.
1972 doesn't have a catalytic converter.    any half decent muffler shop can build an exhaust system.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2015 at 12:09am
Here's a Walker 76 Gremlin 6 cyl exhaust system. I don't see the big deal in getting it to work on a 72 Gremlin..
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2015 at 7:06am
I didn't see an option to actually buy the setup on the Walker site? Did I miss it, or do I need to order from a distributor? Thanks for the help all! 
Gremmy Power!!!
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2015 at 12:44pm
Yeah, you missed it. On Walker's website the front page has a search bar at the top. Click on Dealer locator. Type in zip code. Wham-O! Print the diagram I posted of the exhaust system with part #'s and take it to one of the listed auto parts stores. In my zip code area O'riley's, Autozone, and PEP BOYS are listed.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2015 at 1:50pm
On the above Walker diagram, is the part number for the pipes 10033? All the other numbers are for the gasket and clamps. My brain hurts...
Gremmy Power!!!
knobbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2018 at 6:30am
I hesitated to revive a thread this old, but I came across it when searching Google for Gremlin exhaust part numbers and ran into the same confusion re: part numbers from the diagram as Kensey.

Since the thread died without the part numbers being clarified, I thought I'd do some further searching of the Walker site. Sadly, it looks like there's no AMC part information on their site anymore. I tried several different years in their make/model search form, from '72 to '85, and found no option for AMC in the "make" field. On top of that, I found that searching for specific part numbers (ex: 44887, which was for a head pipe for an Eagle) returned no results. This change must have been relatively recent, since I've seen posts here and on the Eagle's den that date to 2016 and reference the part numbers and resources on the Walker site.

Not to be a chicken little, but it looks like this info may be slowly slipping away. Hopefully someone has some pointers on where to look to make sure that these details are recorded before that happens. If I find anything, I'll make sure to post an update, though I haven't found much.
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2018 at 6:58am
I ended up taking my old exhaust to a shop owned by an old school guy. He used it as a template to make me a new one.
Gremmy Power!!!
tached_out View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tached_out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 12:50pm
Older muffler shops still owned by an old school guy may be your friend.

Up until a few years ago, most shops used a catalogue of bending cards. It was like a box of recipe cards. They's pull the card for the car that came in and follow the bending instructions. It was a case of first marking all the bend points on the length of pipe. Then you mount a dial to the pipe. You made a bend of so many degrees at the first mark, then you rotate the pipe however many degrees the card says and advance the pipe into the machine and make the next bend. Rotate, advance, bend and so on until you got to the end of the pipe. They'd walk over to the car and instal a perfect fitting pipe. There was no guessing, figuring or making multiple trips back and forth. 

I watched the guy at Budget Brake and Muffler build me a perfect fitting dual 2 1/4'' system for my Hornet. He was done inside an hour.

Most shops these days just call the parts store and order a pre-bent thin wall part for the late model vehicle they're working on. But if you ask around you may find a guy who still has the cards on a shelf in a back room somewhere and is willing to use them. Go in and ask.

Glenn 
69 SCRambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 SCRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2018 at 1:42pm
Perhaps Gardner Exhaust has one in the works?
knobbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2018 at 1:30am
Originally posted by Kensey Kensey wrote:

I ended up taking my old exhaust to a shop owned by an old school guy. He used it as a template to make me a new one.

Glad to hear that you got that sorted out, Kensey!

I kept digging for a little while to see if there was any more information that could be had on the parts numbers, but I didn't find anything. The "old exhaust shop" approach sounds pretty solid to me, and would probably end up being cheaper than ordering reproduced sections, flanges, hardware, and so on.

I'm not going to be installing a stock exhaust, so I was looking reference info when I noticed the parts numbers dead end. While looking for more info, I also saw this thread with scanned bend cards:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/amc-exhaust-pipe-bend-cards_topic80155_page1.html?KW=bend+cards

I couldn't help but notice that the Gremlin (and several other) card specifies pipe that's 1/8" smaller than three original. I wonder if that's the same with other bender card libraries, and what the reasoning behind changing the size was.

Edited by knobbler - Mar/27/2018 at 1:44am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic