TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gremlin Exhaust Replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gremlin Exhaust Replacement?
    Posted: Nov/14/2015 at 10:26am
Hi all, does anyone sell a complete exhaust replacement for a 72 Gremlin? I've looked pretty good, have not found one. Just want to make sure before I have a shop bend me pipes. 

thanks!
Kensey
Pittsburgh, PA
Gremmy Power!!!
78AMX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2015 at 7:04pm
Kensey,
I think I have a new tailpipe in the box somewhere if your interested in it.
DG
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2015 at 8:00pm
Thing is are you going to do the work or farm it out?
Have you checked with local parts shops? Not so much the auto zones or advance autos but do try them I was thinking NAPA or car quest.

Then again when my 75 factory v8 car needed exh the local muffler shop bent up a duel set of pipes cheaper (and faster than to order from local parts house that would be a single pipe/muffler.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2015 at 10:02pm
Have you been to Walker Exhaust web site? I just returned from their website and Walker offers the system: includes front pipe, inter pipe, muffler, and tail pipe. Nice illustration showing part numbers and assembly.

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Nov/14/2015 at 10:08pm
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2015 at 10:57pm
The exhaust on the Walker site is for a 76 Gremlin. Would that be the same set up? 

Gremmy Power!!!
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2015 at 8:34am
When I had a 76 Gremlin 258/auto IIRC (to many years ago) there are 2 different exh systems for them. I think 1 was for a 1v carb and the other for 2v carb as I don't think the 232 motor was used in that year Gremlin.
I do know it was the pipe between the head pipe & muffler that was different, I got a new one I bought but did not fit, but could of been others too?
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2015 at 8:37am
Catalytic converters started coming onboard in the mid '70's, that might be the only other difference between a system for a '72 and a '76.

Back in the day you could get custom duals bent up for a car for <$200, any car. Nowadays shops charge significantly more than that, if they want to mess with it at all.

Putting a single system on a smaller car like a Gremlin shouldn't be too difficult. I put a pre-bent dual system on my '69 AMX that I bought from eBay and it needed some massaging, but some of that was getting both sides looking roughly the same, which isn't an issue w/ a single system.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2015 at 4:04pm
Kensey,

Take the Gremlin down to Meineke on Babcock Blvd at Siebert Rd. They've done a couple of complete systems for me over the years, as well as some repairs to other systems. Always good work with aluminumized pipe that lasts, good price too.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2015 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

Catalytic converters started coming onboard in the mid '70's, that might be the only other difference between a system for a '72 and a '76.

Back in the day you could get custom duals bent up for a car for <$200, any car. Nowadays shops charge significantly more than that, if they want to mess with it at all.

Putting a single system on a smaller car like a Gremlin shouldn't be too difficult. I put a pre-bent dual system on my '69 AMX that I bought from eBay and it needed some massaging, but some of that was getting both sides looking roughly the same, which isn't an issue w/ a single system.
Both my 76 258 v2 carb/auto & my 75 V8/auto were non-cat.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2015 at 6:28pm
Here in the SW where exhaust systems do not rust out with much frequency muffler shops regularly bend up exhaust systems. I have had full and partial systems installed on my cars and the prices were reasonable, but that sure can be different in what part of the country yo live in as to what the perception of reasonable is.
I would imagine a full system to be in the $300 to $400 range some where including a generic free flow catalytic converter.
But on the other hand, I would also expect the pipes to be available through a major chain auto parts or a muffler shop.
Can't say for sure and have not looked. No I don't think it can be done "for cheap" but I can believe it to be affordable.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic