TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Goodbye Holley 2209

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2014 at 9:54am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

2209's are by no means your standard Holley. They are completely different from the stereotypical Holley 2300, 4150, or 4160 most people think of.

2209's are more similar to a Stromberg 97 from a 30's ford flathead. No place on a 60's engine.

My mom's Ambassador had the 2209 on it and it ran ok when warm, but man did it ever choke that engine back and I never could get the choke to behave properly on it.

Notice I speak of the 2209 in past tense. Glad to be rid of it.

Yeah lumping a 2209 in with any other Holley is not even an apples to oranges comparison.. more like apples to ears of corn or something LOL.   

FWIW, the last 3 "Holley" carbs I installed ran great right out of the box.. OK one was actually a Holley (770 Street Avenger) and the other two were Quick Fuel Q-850 E-85 carbs LOL. My drag car actually runs its best times with the jetting that the carb came with too.   
1972 Javelin AMX T/A Red 360/4 speed

1968 AMX "The Pied Piper" "Cam Only" 390/727 1/8th mile bracket racer on E-85. 10.92@121.9 mph.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2014 at 4:53pm
"Good carb", "bad carb"...regardless of the actual design of the carburetor, the greater question is what you are familiar with and can make run.

You can have the best designed carburetor on Earth *coughThermoquad*, but if you are not familiar with it and know how to work on it, it'll run like crap.

You can have the worst carburetor on Earth *coughEdelbrock* but if you know how to work on it, it'll run great.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2014 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by jayramb jayramb wrote:

I cannot WAIT to dump my Holley! Holley's are a real piece of $&*#$.

I cannot believe they make them!!

I am excited to take off my 290 2 barrel manifold, swap it with a 4 barrel manifold and put on my Edelbrock 4 barrel 1406 w/electric choke!

That will be this week's project!!!!! I'm SUPER Excited for the 1967 EXCITEMENT MACHINES FOR THE INTERMEDIATE CLASS...REBEL!!!! THE NOW CARS!

I think you'll love it.  What intake are you using?  I swapped a 2V Holley and stock intake out for a 500cfm 1403 and Offy 360DP on my 290.  What a difference...better response, better fuel mileage, much easier starting...right out of the box.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2014 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

"Good carb", "bad carb"...regardless of the actual design of the carburetor, the greater question is what you are familiar with and can make run.

You can have the best designed carburetor on Earth *coughThermoquad*, but if you are not familiar with it and know how to work on it, it'll run like crap.

You can have the worst carburetor on Earth *coughEdelbrock* but if you know how to work on it, it'll run great. 

Best way it's ever been put. And true.

Steve

Edited by Slate - Aug/27/2014 at 7:48pm
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2014 at 7:35pm
TSANCHEZ   that is one mean looking hood
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2014 at 7:48pm
Now, I'm not going to give a blanket condemnation of any particular brand of carb.  I've had good and bad luck with many different brands and styles.  Pappy was a Hudson dealer, so he was well versed in old Carter singles and deuces, of the WA and YF variety.  He was also an International truck dealer in that era, and he hated a Holley, based on his experiences with the 1904 used on the old IH sixes.  The Holley 2300's on those V8 Internationals didn't do much to endear themselves to him, either.  BUT we finally figured out, on his 260,000 mile Travelall, what was wrong with the 2300's.  They would rebuild once, and then they were junk. Turned out that the metering body would warp and wouldn't seal, right around 100,000 miles.  Once we figured that out, life got easier.

Phenolic floats have been a problem over the years.  I rebuilt the Q-Jet that my sister had on her 327 '68 Camaro, and had to go in the second time to replace a sinking float.  So I got to where every time I found a carb with a phenolic float, if I could find a brass replacement, that's what it left with.  I found a source for brass floats for YF's and BBD's back in the day when I was working on AMC sixers, and my life improved a lot. [Having to epoxy the threads when they'd been stripped in the mid-'70's BBD's was a particular pain I remember dealing with more than once.]

The two areas of determining how good a carb is--or isn't--are tunability and rebuildability.  The Holley 2209 fails both areas.  There are better carbs out there.  But tunability and rebuildability--a quality I've been told the old Carter ThermoQuads lacked--are the primary factors in carb reliability.  And if your carb isn't reliable, your car isn't, either.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2014 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

And if your carb isn't reliable, your car isn't, either.

A 650..... Holley..... Double Pumper got me this.

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2014 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by nda racer nda racer wrote:

Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

And if your carb isn't reliable, your car isn't, either.

A 650..... Holley..... Double Pumper got me this.

A misspelled trophy?
jayramb View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayramb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2014 at 3:08pm
Every 2 years the 2209 acted up. My dad bought the 67 Rambler Rebel 290 off the lot brand new on Halloween 67. The dealership told dad, "get rid of that Holley and go to the four barrel". Dad lived in rural ND. Frozen winters, dad couldn't even drive the car uptown to his barbershop for the carb would flood, cough, soot, and die. He called it "the f*#king Holley. When I started to drive itin 1982, when I was 8 years old, on the farm, we had that hood open all the time. It would NEVER start good cold, of course would run fine when warm.

I cannot believe I didn't do this SOONER! I have the 4 barrel 343 manifold I bought at Kenosha, installed, detailed manifold, hooked up new bolts, painted, vacuum lines, new plugs, rotor, cap, etc. all ready to go, any day now. I will have it running tomorrow. The 1406 Performer is just waiting to get hooked up. I cannot wait.

I talked to a dealer, former dealer for AMC. He was telling me, at Kenosha, he had the 2209 on the 290's come in with problems after 2000 miles, they would rebuild and just pig out. Could never get a GREAT NEW engine running the way it deserved. He put an Edelbrock, pretty much a Carter 4 barrel, on his 290 Ambassador convertible. His 2 barrel would do the same as mine, vapor lock, all of that crap I dealt with. UGH.

Well, I have all the pieces and can't wait. I watched the DVD on the 'how to', and readily adjusted for easy adjustments when I start up the 290 Typhoon V8!

RIP Holley 2209!!
Jayson Helenske
See my webiste! www.1967AMCRamblerRebel.weebly.com
Current Cars:
1967 Rambler Rebel 770 290 V8 4-barrel and Paint - Marina Aqua.
1966 MARLIN 327 V8 4 barrel and Paint-Med. Cortez Aqua
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2014 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

A misspelled trophy?

I guess that discredits the numbers it ran then.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic