TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Good street drag radial for summer???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good street drag radial for summer???
    Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 11:36am
So I'll be running a 4.10 twin grip this summer with Chrome 15x7 Magnum 500's for a factory look. I still want to be able to "get on it" occasionally without completely loosing all traction and going up in smoke if I get challenged at a red light(not condoneing street racing of course) and get a good launch with my 2500RPM converter.

So what is a good street driver radial drag tire that I can run on the rear wheels these days?..havent really been keeping up with trends in this area.
What size would you recommend, I want a good balance between front and rear size...not all lifted in the back with a lot of "rake" , looking for a stock like stance. Probably be runnning 15X7 at all corners unless recommended otherwise. Thanks!
whitelumpy401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitelumpy401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 12:50pm
Hoosier drag radial 22/50/r15   or M/T drag radial 235 /60/r15
both wiil fit 7 inch rim and 8 to 9 inch wide and around 26 inch tall
whitelumpy401
blaine H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaine H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2012 at 5:23pm
I've been running the M/T et street drag radials for a couple of seasons and these are the best all around tires for street/strip I've found. I've run the BF Goodrich and Hoosiers and believe me - don't get caught in the rain with these unless you want some entertainment. With the M/Ts I've equaled my best 60' times and they are VERY stable at high speeds. I can run them at 20 psi at the track and 28 on the street. I have the 235/60x15s mounted on 15x7" AMC slots and it has a little bit more than 8" on the road. Very little burn-out required.

blaine
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2012 at 5:48pm
i agree with Blane 100%, i run the MT's 275-60-15's, i had them on 15x7 cop car rims but recently put them on 15x10 weld wheels.

Edited by 390spirit - Mar/25/2012 at 6:00pm
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2012 at 6:07pm
here is a 275-60-15 on a 15x10 on the left and the one on the right is on a 15x7 rim

348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2012 at 8:23pm
Ya I like the MT's! Those will look nice with 15" chrome magnum 500's, I was considering 14" wheels but the selection of tires is very limited compared to 15"'s
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 7:06am
I bought my first set of Hoosier street radials this past summer 275 50 15 and they were good for the first week, maybe. I will never buy another set again and they are shot already although they never worked anyway. At the track I hooked two out of 12 passes and I had to heat them quite a bit to do that. I just ordered a set of MT et street bias ply but I hear the radials are pretty good also. I would stay away from the Hoosiers radials. My friend is running Hoosier bias ply on his 67 Cornet and they really work well.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic